My finalized Open Carry letter to the Governor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Please feel free to copy & paste, or make edits as you see fit. If we want this bill to pass, we need to let our elected official know.

www.ok.gov/governor/message.php or call him at (405) 521-2342 and politely ask him to sign the bill to allow Open Carry. 43 other states allow for open carry.

Dear Governor Henry,

The purpose of this letter is to encourage and support you on signing HB 3354 Open Carry bill into law and further support our God given right to defend ourselves with the use of firearms. The only tool that will level the playing field between a frail senior and a young thug criminal intending to do harm is a firearm. Had Governor Nigh been armed, he and his wife would not have been defenseless victims. Had he been carrying openly, the thug that assaulted him might have reconsidered before assaulting him and stealing his personal belongings. We shouldn’t have to live in fear. As it stands, this criminal is free to repeat his assault on other defenseless victims. No amount of police can protect every citizen, as witnessed by the assault on Governor Nigh. Citizens deserve the ability to defend and protect themselves.

Please sign HB 3354 to make Oklahoma the 44th state to allow open carry! Oklahomans deserve no less than the rights that other states affirm for their citizens.

Open carry is a valuable individual right and has not endangered law enforcement of citizens in the 43 states that allow it. A criminal is less likely to attack if he sees that his prey has the ability to defend him/her self. Nearly 100,000 Oklahoma residents continually demonstrated their ability to carry a firearm responsibly. Why is it a crime if their weapon is exposed? Please sign this bill into law and restore the ability to the law abiding citizen to decide how he/she wants to carry their firearm.

I can share numerous incidents across America where armed citizens were able to defend themselves and loved ones from violent attacks and robbery.

This is more than just a firearm issue, this is about preserving and exercising the rights granted to us by God and affirmed by the Constitution of the United States. The right to keep and bear arms (RKBA) insures that our great nation will forever remain free.

This issue is very important to me and others.

Please demonstrate your support of the U.S. Constitution and sign this bill into law so we can defend and protect ourselves. This was the intent of our Founding Fathers.

Please let me know what you plan to do.

Sincerely, Dirty Dawg!

Stephen Cue

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Doesn't look good...:grumble:

Governor is wary about open carry, immigration

by: BARBARA HOBEROCK World Capitol Bureau
Saturday, May 08, 2010
5/8/2010 8:44:55 AM

OKLAHOMA CITY - Gov. Brad Henry said Friday that he has concerns about an open-carry gun bill sent to him for consideration and that the state shouldn't follow Arizona's lead in attempting to crack down on illegal immigration.

Last week, the House sent Henry House Bill 3354 by Rep. Rex Duncan, R-Sand Springs. The measure would allow people with concealed-carry permits to carry their weapons openly.

"This legislation should actually reduce the chance of violence," Duncan said after the measure passed the House by a 74-24 vote. "A criminal is far less likely to attack once he sees a citizen is armed."

Henry said he hasn't had time to review the measure and is unsure whether he will sign it.

"I will have to say, I share some of the concerns that have been expressed to me by law enforcement that the open carry makes their job more dangerous," he said. "It makes it more difficult for them to distinguish between the bad guys and the good guys. So, I will take all that into consideration. I haven't made a final decision yet." The Oklahoma State Troopers Association opposes the measure.

Henry said he would not support legislation modeled after a recently enacted law in Arizona that cracks down on illegal immigrants.

"I don't think Oklahoma should go where Arizona went," the governor said.

The Arizona law allows law enforcement officers to ask for the immigration papers of people whom they stop, detain or arrest. It makes it a crime not to have immigration papers.

Some Oklahoma lawmakers have indicated that they plan to craft legislation this session that would be tougher than the Arizona law. But legislative leaders are wary of such a plan.

Henry repeated his position that illegal immigration is a federal issue.

He said he hasn't read the Arizona law, but based on news reports, "I think it gets very close to racial profiling, if (it's) not racial profiling."

The governor said a uniform policy regarding illegal immigrants is needed.

"Quite frankly, the reason we are seeing states like Oklahoma, Arizona and other states address immigration is because the federal government, for decades, has failed to do so," Henry said. "It is time they step up and do their job."

ERPA

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I'm wrong, but in this article the governor is basically saying that he feels unsure about giving legal citizens of Oklahoma their right to carry firearms openly. In the same interview he is also saying he doesn't want to do anything that may infringe on any illegal alliens supposed rights!
Is just me or should this SOB be ran out of the state?

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently met Michael Phillips and Kristiana Cupp with the NRA-ILA (institute for legislative affairs). They were working the booth at the entrance to the Wanemacher Gun Show a few weeks ago asking folks to join the NRA. My conversation began with "I did not renew my membership with the NRA because they compromise & fail to get involved with 2nd Amendment issues". Overall, we had a very good conversation but I refused to join the NRA because I cannot support an organization that campaigns on being an advocate for 2nd amendment rights, but fails or compromises my rights away.

Well...with HB3354 sitting on the governor's desk and no endorsement to my knowledge by the NRA, I called my Michael & Kristiana to find out why the NRA has not rallied their members for support.

Knowing some history on the NRA, I shouldn't have been surprised, but, I was shocked when I was told by the assistant to Ashley Garner (NRA-ILA rep assigned to Oklahoma) that "the NRA is taking a neutral stance on this legislation until Governor Henry announces his decision!!"

She went on to say that the NRA will not be contacting any of its members in Oklahoma until Governor Henry makes his decision. My response was "Why isn't the NRA rallying its members to contact their legislators & Governor Henry to sign this bill into law?" All she could say was "we are taking a neutral stance"

I'll let the NRA members decide their actions, but I can only hope that you call the NRA and ask for support to get this legislation signed into law.

Krisitiana Cupp (grassroots coordinator) can be contacted at 703-267-1194 or [email protected]

If we citizens don't participate in this experiment of self-governance, it will surely fail and fall into a dictatorship.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The NRA is remaining neutral? Seriously? What a joke. :(

As for the Trooper's Association, meh. Seems to me the SDA requires you to inform LEO's if you're carrying as soon as practicable. If you're open carrying in a holster, seems to me you're announcing it pretty much immediately. Their "logic" is pretty lame on this one.

thayton

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The NRA is remaining neutral? Seriously? What a joke. :(

As for the Trooper's Association, meh. Seems to me the SDA requires you to inform LEO's if you're carrying as soon as practicable. If you're open carrying in a holster, seems to me you're announcing it pretty much immediately. Their "logic" is pretty lame on this one.

And the ORA also, all the LEO's I know welcome open carry ( OCPD ) but they are old guy's like me and also vets

Latest posts

Top Bottom