Did we get Open Carry.. again?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GC7

Not Actually a Grackle
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
News is saying this bill is now law but I'm not understanding what changed from what we had previously.

http://webserver1.lsb.state.ok.us/cf_pdf/2023-24 ENR/hB/HB1789 ENR.PDF
House Bill 1789 – concealed and unconcealed carry: “It shall be lawful for a citizen or lawful permanent resident, who can lawfully purchase or possess a firearm under state law, to carry or transport a concealed or unconcealed firearm in this state.”

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know, but I do notice that it's now FIREARM and not HANDGUN, so it does seem to be a broadening of firearms rights.
I’m thinking it’s cleaning up the language in the old law that basically pistols could be carried in condition one in vehicles and on your person, while long guns could be magazine loaded but the chamber had to remain unloaded while in the vehicle.
OK2A was the driver of this legislation.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thing, but one major philosophical change is that it inverts the previous language--where it said it was unlawful to carry except as allowed by the provisions of the act, it now says carry is lawful as defined by the act. The way I read that, they went from saying that legal carry was the exception to saying that legal carry is now the rule.

They also changed the language from handguns to firearms, and defined firearms to include rifles and shotguns as well as handguns, so it looks like you can now carry your scattergun or your long distance hole puncher as well as your pocket gat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom