Moonclip Loading DEvice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For those who carry a revolver chambered in 45 ACP, loading the fullmoon clips can be a pain in the ***. The first tool I used was a small vise--grip, and that, while it worked, was slow. I've tried the Moonsetter tool that resembles a flimsy pair of pliers. That was awkward, to say the least. The Re-Mooner tool, made by California Competition Works seems to work fairly well, once you get the hang of it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/447...ull-moon-clips

It has six levers arranged around a center post which holds the moonclip and various styles of posts are furnished with it to enable loading of the Model 610 10 mm revolver.

To operate the device, place one cartridge primer-end up in the cup at the bottom of each lever, and then place the appropriate moonclip in the center post and then while holding the moonclip down with the opposite thumb and forefinger, bring the levers two at a time, to the center until the cartridge's extractor groove snaps in place on the moonclip. I found it awkward at first, but soon got the hang of it and fairly easily loaded up 150 rounds into 25 moonclips.

This looks like it will work, but I'll try other devices and see how they work. There is, however, one catch, and that is that the device does not seem to work all that well unless the cartridge OAL is close to standard.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mooncliptool.com is a good one for loading the clips. I always used a pipe with a step milled or ground for demooning.

The absolute best that there is bar none is the BMTmooner right here. Worth it's weight in gold.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mooncliptool.com is a good one for loading the clips. I always used a pipe with a step milled or ground for demooning.

The absolute best that there is bar none is the BMTmooner right here. Worth it's weight in gold.
Thanks for the link. I'll have to check that out. They look like they would be pretty fast.
I always used a pipe with a step milled or ground for demooning.
I have the Brownell de-mooning tool, with functions the same as your pipe, but it resembles a screwdriver. It, combined with a 9/16" allen wrench which goes into the center hole of the clip (my 45 ACP clips are for the later model S&W wheelguns) makes de-mooning a breeze.

BallisticBiker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just use adjustable pliers, aka channel locks.
The trick is, don't follow your instinct and try to hold everything in your hands. Set the tool on the bench and use it that way.
Pretty quick & easy and didn't cost anything extra.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just use adjustable pliers, aka channel locks.
The trick is, don't follow your instinct and try to hold everything in your hands. Set the tool on the bench and use it that way.
Pretty quick & easy and didn't cost anything extra.

I used to use vise-grips as I said in the OP, adjusting the jaw so that all it did was to snap the cases in place, and while it worked fairly well, it was slow. I'd put the case in the corner of an empty cartridge box and bring the moonclip up next to it and use the vise-grip to snap it in place. The remooner that I have now works quite well, and it is also reasonably fast, but I do intend to look very seriously at the BMT mooner mentioned by shadow.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to see one in action go to 3:45 in this video. These things are better than sliced bread, I can de-moon 300 rounds in a few minutes. After watching this, I'm wanting a breaktop...:hithead:

Last edited by a moderator:

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you want to see one in action go to 3:45 in this video. These things are better than sliced bread, I can de-moon 300 rounds in a few minutes. After watching this, I'm wanting a breaktop...:hithead:

While I don't particularly want a breaktop, I gotta admit that those BMT tools are slick!! One advantage that they have over the re-mooner tool that I have right now is that the OAL of the cartridge is not really all that important like it is with the re-mooner.

I am definitely going to check into them and probably pick one up. I have three wheelguns that use moonclips. One is my 625 and then I have the 'new 1917' made in the 2000's and a Thunder Ranch Model 22. The TR is essentially a 1917 with a 4" barrel and an extractor rod shroud. So, with three hungry guns to feed, I can certainly find a use for such tools.

Thank you for pointing that out to me.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I just found out that BMT uses Pay Pal, :puke: and I won't use them due to their anti-gun attitude. I just emailed them to see if there is any other way I can pay them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom