I hate CFLs.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cody6766

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Cree brand LED bulbs for my 'normal' light bulb replacments and Sylvania spots for my in-ceiling can lights. I really don't like CFLs, especially the cheaper ones that take forever to fire. Not all CFLs are created equal and the bad ones are really crappy. As far as cost goes, you'll be hard pressed to see a really significant difference in utility savings. It will be cheaper, but OK electric costs aren't terrible, so the savings aren't massive. For instance, I replaced my 250w metal halide lights over my reef tank with 90w LED lights. These run 12hrs a day, every day. The 250w bulbs cost about $95/yr, the LEDs cost about $35/yr ton run (each). This difference is significant, but the real world impact on the wallet is not, especially considering the high cost of LEDs. For the fish tank lights, bulb replacement costs become a significant factor in the big picture ($50-100ea) since the LEDs probably won't need to be replaced in the lifetime of the tank. Lights for the house are much cheaper, so the comparison isn't exactly apples to apples. I decided to go with LEDs as my incandescents burn out because of the stupid laws limiting what can be produced now. I like 75w bulbs or brighter, and I can't get those at the store now. The LED options are really close and are getting affordable. My house also has issues with power surges killing my incandescent bulbs and LEDs hold up better. I do it for the intensity and because I don't have to run up the ladder as often.

Regarding cost, I've read stories from guys on the reef forums I read about their savings after an LED change over. Their KW/hr costs are high enough where real savings can be recognized and they can be pretty significant.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't bought any LED bulbs yet, I know they cost more. Glad to see prices coming down. We still have CFL that came with our 2 yr old house. I want to replace our flood lights in the kitchen with LED.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
LEDs are definitely the way to go. I also just cannot stand CFLs, I swear they give me headaches and it almost seems that I can feel the frequency pulse off of them. I had 8 large can lights put in my kitchen, sealed, full insulation contact rated. The installers put 75 watt incandescent bulbs in them. Within a couple of days one of the cans would go out after a couple of hours. Even though they were rated for much higher wattage bulbs the heat was tripping the thermal overload with 15" of insulation over them. So I ditched the incans and spent the coin on LEDs. No more issues. 75 watts X 8 = 600 watts. I think the LEDs I got were 13 watts so that 496 watts less for actually more light lumens. I was also running 35 watt halogens in my track lighting above my computer desk. Like the light but man did they ever get hot. Switched those to LEDs as the halogens burned out and I can now grab them with my bare hand. Moral to the story is go LED! They will pay for themselves over time. I'm switching every light I have to LED as they burn out.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Best return on your investment is to start by replacing the bulbs that are used the most.
I ieave the porch and garage face lights on all night, 365 days a yr.
I started by swapping those out for led because the savings breaks even fastest on those.
Besides, led works much better than cfl in cold weather anyway unless you buy the special cold cathode cfl bulbs and those cost nearly as much as led.

It was after swapping those I replaced the floods in the 10' ceilings.

In the bathroom I use the halogen bulbs that are in a standard base enclosure.
I like the color rendition and they don't stay on that long in my house.
They are about 10% more efficient than standard incandescent and have a longer life.

The bulbs in the closets will always be the cheapest bulbs I can find.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The buzz from CFLs is what chases me away from them - gradually going LEDs everywhere, just wish there were more warm white options available. Watching closely for fluorescent retrofit setups to become more readily available - have some 4' fixtures and a few circulars I plan to replace.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has anyone used the LED conversions for their can lights? They cost more than just the LED bulb but the flush finish looks really nice. I have 5 can lights in the kitchen that I'm looking to change out but I'm thinking about going with the conversions vs bulbs.

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd love to see some before/after pictures that I can trust aren't photoshopped for advertising. I've got plenty of uses for LED lights out here, and I'm sure it'd be cheaper than the incandescent bulbs we're going through. Anyone using LEDs in ceiling fans?

Latest posts

Top Bottom