What is your opinion of reality television?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your opinion of reality TV?

• I like it.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 53 63.1%
  • I don't care either way.

Votes: 17 20.2%
  • Books, we are buying you a ticket to the Betty Ford Clinic.

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters

Defnestor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Saw ten minutes of MTV's Real World once. The cameraman screwed up, and you could see the top of the set at the "bar" where they "worked". It's all scripted b.s. with low production values.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what you call a "reality show". Some of them have enough material for about three episodes, and turn it into five Seasons. "Duck Dynasty" is just a hillbilly version of "I Love Lucy" now - who can do and say the dumbest things. I like some of the Alaska shows and the crime documentaries, and my wife likes the home improvement and cooking shows. Not even going to talk abour "Honey Boo Boo" and "Hollywood Hillbillies"...

Cedar Creek

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There a few I like but most I despise. They are all staged for the most part. I wish they would die out. But for some reason they just get bigger. It amazes me the people that will support some of the filth. Just goes to show how pathetic some Americans are.

Zaphod Beeblebrox

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There are a few that are interesting, like the ones where cool old things are found and restored (can't remember the titles, don't care that much). But...

I can't stand most of them. One of my kids is into every train wreck of a life that can be shown. Things like 600 lb Life and some gawdawful show about dancing girls and their horrific excuses of humanity laughingly referred to as "parents". Almost makes me wish for a nuclear attack.

I do believe they have a negative effect on society, simply because it shows grownups acting like spoiled brats. Then, they are celebrated and become famous. Insanity is becoming "normal". People are being conditioned to think that the way you deal with conflict is to scream louder than the idiot who tried to talk to you. Not my thing.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I do watch a few of the car shows. The rest does nothing for me. I guess a lot of folks like them, there a bunch of shows that are available.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The worst reality show is that one they do every 4 years where a bunch of asshats fight over who is going to rule everybody.
You mean the one that has become almost continuous?

Back when I was just starting in my career, there was a comic strip in the OU student paper (done by a student) called College (or was it Colledge?), and I had one of the strips posted on my office wall for years. It was from the day after the '92 elections. The first two panels were about how it was a new day in the land, and how wonderful things were; the third panel said "and a great cheer went up over the land" with two guys giving each other a high-five, shouting "the elections are over!"

Of, for the good old days, when the elections actually ended the campaigning...

Latest posts

Top Bottom