What is killing my chickens???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting. How long did you have it?

I wouldn't want a possum, but I've always wanted a pet skunk. They make good pets they tell me. Very smart.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I257 using Tapatalk

I honestly don't believe there is a better trigger out there. Factory or most customs. Ol Yeller is gonna disagree with me, but I can take it. :D

Back on topic, Ridge, a long time friend back in the day had a Yamaha cycle dealership. The guy I worked for had the back half of the building for a neon sign shop. He had a pet skunk. It had been de-scented by a vet. Pretty popular back in the day before one had to get a permit to own one. When it was past closing time and he had some yakkers in the store vs interested buyers, his dad would let the skunk out. Danny would caution them to walk slowly to the door and come back later. Interesting strategy.

I had a pet skunk when I was a kid. It loved to spend time in my Grandpa's garden, eating grasshoppers. He'd tear into a big grasshopper like Godzilla on a Japanese tank. He had all the dogs walking a wide path. When we sat around in the backyard in the summertime, making ice cream, he'd just wander around, snooping into everything. Strange, I can't remember what happened to him. Must be old age - mine, not his.

Rural Oklahoma was the greatest place in the world to grow up. I had this pet skunk, a number of squirrels, cottontails, and a crow.

Well, let me add to all the skunk tales.

Back when I was a youngster, we had friends in Ponca City that were rodeo clowns. I don't remember if there was a name for them as clowns, but their names were Clark and Arlene. (I won't add last name on the open forum.) They also had a old Ford convertible that was referred to as the "Bucking Ford." That car had controls in the rear seat where Arlene would sit.

They would drive out into the arena and around a bit and would pretend to have car problems. So, Clark would get out and open the side hood of the engine compartment and out would come a couple of skunks. Then Arlene would take control of the car and drive it around, with Clark in pursuit, and she would make the car do wheelies (thus the Bucking Ford reference) and then stop. Then she would get out and be pretending to leave with her luggage and Clark would grab the suitcase. It would come open, and out would come more skunks.

Clark also had a mule that he would throw beach balls at from different directions. The mule would spin around and kick the beach balls with his hind legs. Once, in Guymon, OK, a friend and I were asked to help with his act. You guessed it...we got to chase the beach balls.

I don't remember the name of the guy off the top of my head, but a relative of Clark and Arlene still have that old Ford somewhere. One of his ventures is to provide period firearms for stage and film productions. I was working the media booth at church for a wedding one time, and this guy was related to the young lady getting married. We struck up a conversation, and that's when I found out who he was and that he was related to Clark and Arlene. He gave me one of his business cards. I need to see if I can find that card.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, let me add to all the skunk tales.

Back when I was a youngster, we had friends in Ponca City that were rodeo clowns. I don't remember if there was a name for them as clowns, but their names were Clark and Arlene. (I won't add last name on the open forum.) They also had a old Ford convertible that was referred to as the "Bucking Ford." That car had controls in the rear seat where Arlene would sit.

They would drive out into the arena and around a bit and would pretend to have car problems. So, Clark would get out and open the side hood of the engine compartment and out would come a couple of skunks. Then Arlene would take control of the car and drive it around, with Clark in pursuit, and she would make the car do wheelies (thus the Bucking Ford reference) and then stop. Then she would get out and be pretending to leave with her luggage and Clark would grab the suitcase. It would come open, and out would come more skunks.

Clark also had a mule that he would throw beach balls at from different directions. The mule would spin around and kick the beach balls with his hind legs. Once, in Guymon, OK, a friend and I were asked to help with his act. You guessed it...we got to chase the beach balls.

I don't remember the name of the guy off the top of my head, but a relative of Clark and Arlene still have that old Ford somewhere. One of his ventures is to provide period firearms for stage and film productions. I was working the media booth at church for a wedding one time, and this guy was related to the young lady getting married. We struck up a conversation, and that's when I found out who he was and that he was related to Clark and Arlene. He gave me one of his business cards. I need to see if I can find that card.

I knew those folks at one time. Sam Legrand, arguably the greatest rodeo cowboy ever, lived up the road from me before he passed away a couple of years back.

Junior Bonner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
He's as big as a dog! And he growls, too!!!

i.imgur.com_WQLOwhL.jpg

i.imgur.com_HA03Tuj.jpg

i.imgur.com_bJaBIWI.jpg

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Keep setting your trap and see how many you catch.........if one coon knows about your chicken buffet, so do others.

Koolhandlinc

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always wanted a racoon skin cap. Been catching skunks at work. I work night shift and so am the critter getter. 5 skunks, 4 cats, 1 possum, 1 racoon. Had a friend who killed a momma racoon and kept a kit. He raised it up. It had a wild streak and trashed his trailer. He released it when He felt it was old enough to survive on its own. Anyways, I have had bad luck with chickens. Mostly from dogs. My own dogs. Put 3 dogs down for killin chickens. Tried to break them but gave up.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Put 3 dogs down for killin chickens. Tried to break them but gave up.

Use duct tape and tape the dead chicken around the dogs neck and leave it for a good while, like all day. They wont go near a chicken after that. Especially if you do this in summer. I broke a dog of killing cats the same way, after he wore that dead kitten all day in Aug. He never got near a cat again. If the cat walked too close to him he would leave.

Latest posts

Top Bottom