Interesting History on My Property

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hated history in school, now that I'm old, not forced to read it, I love it! Just think of how much real history has been lost to time, and the history we know, has been retold so many times, it would be unrecognizable, from the truth! I got a book for Christmas, titled " Images of America, Tulsa, Oil Capital of the World." This is mainly made up of photos, and related stories, of different oil fields, and boom towns, in the NE Oklahoma area! Most of the photos, are made up of old post cards sent home by oil field workers. Photos of whole oil fields, and tank farms on fire, a that burned half the building in these boom towns, Boom town names, like Drumright, the only boom town in a group of boom towns, that ended in right, such as Justright, Aboutright, Damrighht, and several others I can't remember!
I collect Oklahoma books about history and the land run. I guess that is what started my bookends collection.

1684983322372.jpeg

1684983345551.jpeg

1684983366295.jpeg

1684983412233.jpeg

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yea great similar thing here..I rented the house im in now and every time I would get near the fridge and stove id smell the hint of gas so i pulled it to soap test and found a .45 slug with plaster residue on it..so I kept it and one day had the landlord’s son bring me a new toilet so i could install I said o yeah i found a .45 slug under the stove and he said really can I have it well i said sure. Come to find out while his dad was living here remodeling he was sleeping with a newly divorced lady. Well her x husband showed up on the porch my landlord opened the door and he shot him 11 times!!!! Then ran up to Walmart to kill his self but chickened out that’s where the cops arrested him. And yes my landlord is still alive. (Sorry about writing a big book).
Please explain which person shot which person. Punctuation please.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
you should get an abstract made up and read it. some are very interesting
Our farm qualified in 2009 as an Oklahoma Centennial Farm.

• have occupied their land for at least 100 years
  • be a working farm or ranch of at least forty acres
  • generate at least $1,000 in annual sales
  • be operated by, lived on by, or leased out by a family member

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wife's uncle bought 160 acres when he was in his 20's in Western Kay County. Right after buying it and getting ready to farm it, an older guy drove up and stopped to visit with him. Said his brother was buried on the SW corner of the property.
He had participated in the Ok land run, staked his property and was setting up a camp when a guy rode up on horseback, had a discussion as he wanted the land, and without provocation, pulled a shotgun and shot the guy staking the land. Landowner pulled his pistol and shot the guy on the horse, killing him.
The landowner finally died of infection from his wounds.
Wifes Uncle asked where the other guy was buried, and he was told to not worry about it. Said his brother was buried deep enough he didn't need to worry about it when farming, but the Wifes Uncle always left that corner undisturbed.
We have big thick books from the Kay and Grant County historical societies that interviewed people over the years about how they came to Oklahoma.
Some of the stories are really graphic and makes one really respect the resolve of folks that endured the indian raids, fires, droughts, bandits and tornado's.
I love reading the stories in those books.
My great-great Grandpa made the run and survived in Grant County. He and his family are mentioned in the book.
IMG_1581.jpeg
IMG_1582.jpeg
IMG_1583.jpeg

Lots of personal stories in those pages.

Last edited:

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wife's uncle bought 160 acres when he was in his 20's in Western Kay County. Right after buying it and getting ready to farm it, an older guy drove up and stopped to visit with him. Said his brother was buried on the SW corner of the property.
He had participated in the Ok land run, staked his property and was setting up a camp when a guy rode up on horseback, had a discussion as he wanted the land, and without provocation, pulled a shotgun and shot the guy staking the land. Landowner pulled his pistol and shot the guy on the horse, killing him.
The landowner finally died of infection from his wounds.
Wifes Uncle asked where the other guy was buried, and he was told to not worry about it. Said his brother was buried deep enough he didn't need to worry about it when farming, but the Wifes Uncle always left that corner undisturbed.
We have big thick books from the Kay and Grant County historical societies that interviewed people over the years about how they came to Oklahoma.
Some of the stories are really graphic and makes one really respect the resolve of folks that endured the indian raids, fires, droughts, bandits and tornado's.
I love reading the stories in those books.
My great-great Grandpa made the run and survived in Grant County. He and his family are mentioned in the book.View attachment 379890View attachment 379891View attachment 379892
Lots of personal stories in those pages.
One of dad's stories is his grandfather told him they were from Minnesota. He said they took a snow shovel, tucked it under his arm and walked straight south until someone asked him what it was. That was in Isabella, Oklahoma.

Russ661

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
My ancestors came to OK in the early 1800’s and settled in the area around what is now Keystone lake. One of them donated land to be used as a cemetery, Sinnett Memorial Park IIRC. The only stipulation was that for the next 2 generations burial plots would be free. There is now an entire row made up of my family members with birth dates clear back to the early 1800’s. My dad and his siblings were the last to get free plots; if I want to be planted there I have to buy a plot and the only ones available are way in the back away from the rest of the family 🙁

Latest posts

Top Bottom