1" Felt for rifle rest

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevy4wd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am trying building a rifle rack and need to source some quality felt for the rest notches. Any recommendations would be helpful. I have looked some on amazon but they all seemed very thin.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My son gave me some felt corner protectors off his semi truck he uses them to keep straps from cutting items.
.400" thick at rest no compression.. slight compression .250" thick.
8" X 11.5" slightly dirty.
You may look into trucking supply goods.
If you want some slightly dirty ones I have a couple

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Used to buy that heavy felt at Hobby Lobby, in a package of 3, 8-1/2 X 11 sheets, but that's been several years ago. Seems like it was 2.99 or so a package back then.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My blued pistols did not care for leather holsters.
The blueing did not care for it anyway.
6 times into a leather holster with a Ruger 45 Colt and the blueing was noticeably worn.
No more of that.
But for a gun rack you do not get the sliding fit of a holster.

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My blued pistols did not care for leather holsters.
The blueing did not care for it anyway.
6 times into a leather holster with a Ruger 45 Colt and the blueing was noticeably worn.
No more of that.
But for a gun rack you do not get the sliding fit of a holster.

Couldn't resist mate...

doj1ht6hjdx61.jpg

Yojinbo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So I am trying building a rifle rack and need to source some quality felt for the rest notches. Any recommendations would be helpful. I have looked some on amazon but they all seemed very thin.

I ordered some "F1" felt to rebuild the cross slide on a lathe a while back from McMaster Carr (part #8334K32). It was .25 thick and heavy, matching what was on an old lathe's way wipers very closely.

Industrial felt has SAE specification nomenclature that might be helpful getting just what you want. I had to dip a toe into this pond in order to understand what I needed. These links helped me then:
http://www.usfelt.com/sae_felt_specs.html
https://thefeltstore.com/blogs/news/sae-industrial-felt
Note: I did not order from these two places, its just too easy for me to use McMaster since they are sending regular boxes to my shop anyway. I have never done what you are talking about, but if you were closer I would be willing to donate some of my scrap to your effort (assuming I could find it now-a-days).

I got a sheet (non backed) but McMaster also has strips with adhesive backing in a section called "Firm Felt Sheets and Strips. They also have hard and soft.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom