1200 acre solar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
But I do think everyone agrees that there is only so much fuel still left in the earth, so it’s best if we start researching a replacement now.

No not everyone agrees. I've been hearing this exact thing since high school in the '70s. Yet, we just keep producing more and more and more. Sure we get better fuel mileage these days, but there are exponentially more vehicles on the roads today than at any time. It's been proven that we have many generations of O&G left to use even with the population increase and future projections.

I'm a landman also and I hate it when I find that fellow professionals have drank the kool aid.

It's not wind and solar that is our salvation, it's drilling and mining. Does anyone consider the effect on the land of 160 acre solar farms all over the place? Sure they do, they just choose to not talk about it. Ditto for the loss of habitat and browse for wildlife. How about turbine disposal? Yes, they just dump them in massive piles in the middle of nowhere and let someone down the line deal with it, meanwhile the land can't be used by anyone for anything. I also wonder about all this carbon capture and injection that's all the rage. We even have players claiming they they will be carbon negative. What a crock. What are the long term effects? I don't think they even know but it's going on like gang busters. Thanks Uncle Sugar! These are real problems that would never happen if our government were not footing the bill since the industries we are talking about can't stand on their own becuase there's no profit in it.

Green is anything but green...Except for the money coming out of our pocket, into Washington and back to the mega corps. If green is so good let it stand on its own footing and prove it. /rant

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No not everyone agrees. I've been hearing this exact thing since high school in the '70s. Yet, we just keep producing more and more and more. Sure we get better fuel mileage these days, but there are exponentially more vehicles on the roads today than at any time. It's been proven that we have many generations of O&G left to use even with the population increase and future projections.

I'm a landman also and I hate it when I find that fellow professionals have drank the kool aid.

It's not wind and solar that is our salvation, it's drilling and mining. Does anyone consider the effect on the land of 160 acre solar farms all over the place? Sure they do, they just choose to not talk about it. Ditto for the loss of habitat and browse for wildlife. How about turbine disposal? Yes, they just dump them in massive piles in the middle of nowhere and let someone down the line deal with it, meanwhile the land can't be used by anyone for anything. I also wonder about all this carbon capture and injection that's all the rage. We even have players claiming they they will be carbon negative. What a crock. What are the long term effects? I don't think they even know but it's going on like gang busters. Thanks Uncle Sugar! These are real problems that would never happen if our government were not footing the bill since the industries we are talking about can't stand on their own becuase there's no profit in it.

Green is anything but green...Except for the money coming out of our pocket, into Washington and back to the mega corps. If green is so good let it stand on its own footing and prove it. /rant
I agree with most of what you said. But We’ll have to agree to disagree that fossil fuels will never run out. I didn’t say they’ll run out in any specific timeframe, I stated my “opinion” that they’ll run out eventually and that it would be nice to have a vetted replacement at the ready if civilization endures that long. I also stated my opinion that I don’t think wind/solar are the answer in the near term. I also stated my “opinion” that green energy is not green and that it rides almost entirely on the back of government subsidies. If that’s drinking the koolaid then I’m guilty. If cashing the checks is drinking the koolaid, then I’m guilty. If being grateful for the opportunity to work is drinking koolaid, gimme a pitcher.

What I did say is that I’m thankful that a new market has emerged for people to apply their skill sets. Im appreciative that something helped fill the void left by declining O&G exploration. And I am also very happy that something is shaking up, or atleast gently agitating, the contract land work side of the oil and gas industry. In my opinion it’s long overdue.

Im not trying to gloss over any concern you raised, all have merit (Except as stated previously, im of the opinion fossil fuels have an indeterminable fixed limit). All of those concerns need addressing. But so did all of oil and gas’s. Useless, long lived refuse is not unique to Solar and wind and hydro (No one harps on hydro?). Difficult transportation and difficult transmission are not exclusive to “green”. The spoiling of wild places and ecosystems is not at the sole discretion of a turbine or a panel. OG has been f****** s*** up for a century. Atleast the green folks throw their junk in a pile.

OG wasn’t perfect in its infancy, it still isn’t. People just figured it out. I think the same is true of solar/wind. People will figure it out. We will test it to failure. The market will make the call. And I imagine that wind and solar are deemed useless. Same with the next alternative. But eventually, some alternative will be viable. But you can’t not look, in my opinion

ETA: The O&G industry has benefited greatly from subsidies as well.

Last edited:

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@AER244 Sorry if you thought I was throwing shade at you personally, that wasn't my intention. What I was really meaning to criticize was the old mantra that we are going to run out. That's a pet peeve of mine. My high school English teacher was a died in the wool "we are going to run out!" alarmist. He drove a VW bug, wore tie dyed shirts, and had a righteous beard too. He was a good teacher tho. That was 1979.

I jettisoned myself from all the industry forums because of all the younger people preaching the current .gov speak. I guess it's to be expected with basically everyone in our industry having a college degree and the indoctrination that goes on in academia. Another peeve. Yes I'm crotchety. lol

I'm all for research, just let the free market capitalists do it like in the past. They always figured it out and will continue to do so. What's going on today with the green agenda is basically the same thing only it's morphed into a giant worldwide political movement with the stated intent to delete what allowed us to become the greatest country on earth. We know what works. O&G. That's what built this country. It's required for everything we do or have in life today and they are trying to flush it down the toilet.

How many played out fields are there that were written off years and years ago that are producing today like they never did before? I've heard of horizontal wells paying out in 30-60 days right here in Oklahoma. Did they do that in the '70s boom? Nope. Have you seen drill plats in the permian? They make Oklahoma drilling look like kindergarten work. I'll attach one in case you haven't.

There's no reason to think that new fields won't be discovered and drilling technology and production methods won't continue to advance like they always have unless we allow it to cease. Mankind will adapt in the 400-500 years it will take to deplete O&G. For us to move over to green just gives green more ammunition to shoot at us. My ----> :twocents:

This is just a few sections in Midland County, TX. Practically all of Midland and Martin counties look like this. This extends over into New Mexico too. We ain't running out for at least several more generations...

Screenshot 2023-09-07 at 10.59.34 PM.png

Last edited:

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I haven’t ever been up close and personal with a solar farm, however I have with a wind turbine farm, and that land is destroyed.

Maybe they aren’t as bad these days, but there was oil everywhere on the site from them turbines flinging it all over the place.

Then disposal of the blades? How you gonna do that? I wonder if they can reuse them.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Then disposal of the blades? How you gonna do that? I wonder if they can reuse them.
I saw an article the other day on farcebook showing re utilization of blades. Don't remember what they were doing, but thought it was so stupid. Better to put them in one of those trailerhouse shredders and reuse the pulp.

Adhdferret

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I saw an article the other day on farcebook showing re utilization of blades. Don't remember what they were doing, but thought it was so stupid. Better to put them in one of those trailerhouse shredders and reuse the pulp.
Yeah, I don’t know if you can reuse them. I know they apply gel coat on them when they get bird strikes or hail.

I read somewhere that it will never produce as much energy as it takes to make and install

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
@AER244 Sorry if you thought I was throwing shade at you personally, that wasn't my intention. What I was really meaning to criticize was the old mantra that we are going to run out. That's a pet peeve of mine. My high school English teacher was a died in the wool "we are going to run out!" alarmist. He drove a VW bug, wore tie dyed shirts, and had a righteous beard too. He was a good teacher tho. That was 1979.

I jettisoned myself from all the industry forums because of all the younger people preaching the current .gov speak. I guess it's to be expected with basically everyone in our industry having a college degree and the indoctrination that goes on in academia. Another peeve. Yes I'm crotchety. lol

I'm all for research, just let the free market capitalists do it like in the past. They always figured it out and will continue to do so. What's going on today with the green agenda is basically the same thing only it's morphed into a giant worldwide political movement with the stated intent to delete what allowed us to become the greatest country on earth. We know what works. O&G. That's what built this country. It's required for everything we do or have in life today and they are trying to flush it down the toilet.

How many played out fields are there that were written off years and years ago that are producing today like they never did before? I've heard of horizontal wells paying out in 30-60 days right here in Oklahoma. Did they do that in the '70s boom? Nope. Have you seen drill plats in the permian? They make Oklahoma drilling look like kindergarten work. I'll attach one in case you haven't.

There's no reason to think that new fields won't be discovered and drilling technology and production methods won't continue to advance like they always have unless we allow it to cease. Mankind will adapt in the 400-500 years it will take to deplete O&G. For us to move over to green just gives green more ammunition to shoot at us. My ----> :twocents:

This is just a few sections in Midland County, TX. Practically all of Midland and Martin counties look like this. This extends over into New Mexico too. We ain't running out for at least several more generations...

View attachment 408714
I’ve spent not a lot, but enough time in monahans/pecos/midland/Odessa/hobbes to know I dont really want to go back. The drilling activity is truly astounding. I hope we find many more plays just like it. And like you said, find ways to get the most out of what we already have.

ETA: if you’re ever out in a courthouse and you see a tall 30 something male without headphones in and wearing crocs, that’s me. Come say hello, I’d like to meet you. My names Aaron.

Last edited:

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I don’t understand the hate solar gets. It’s not pretty but it’s not that ugly. All it does is lay there and make electricity. I personally would love to have a solar farm.

The problem with solar, especially in Colorado, is they destroy hundreds of acres of trees to put in a solar farm.

Not sure how well it works in the rest of Oklahoma but the Panhandle is the best spot for Wind and Solar. Flat land, lots of wind, and no trees to kill.

We only have one solar farm and it’s next to our electric COOP. Plenty of wind farms though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom