14-year-old Phoenix boy shoots armed intruder

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
He must be one capable young man. Do you realize how hard it must be to place a stopping shot into an armed intruder with a handgun when you're scared to death and full of adrenaline--and you're only 14? I'm guessing that his family is 'prayed up' and that there was a squad of angels helping those kids. I'm proud of that young man and for parents that put a firearm in their home.

This. He's a hero in my book!

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does no one else think its a problem that the parents left a loaded firearm where a child could get it? Furthermore, left it there while they were not home?

I'd be proud as all get out of my son and im sure he has been taught not to touch dads gun and understood this is an instance where it would be OK but playing devil's advocate here. Pull it out of the context that the kid just shot an intruder, are the parents smart? I have a felling if this thread read "neighbor checks on kids and gets shot by child who had access to dads gun" this thread would have a very different tone.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Does no one else think its a problem that the parents left a loaded firearm where a child could get it? Furthermore, left it there while they were not home?

I'd be proud as all get out of my son and im sure he has been taught not to touch dads gun and understood this is an instance where it would be OK but playing devil's advocate here. Pull it out of the context that the kid just shot an intruder, are the parents smart? I have a felling [sic] if this thread read "neighbor checks on kids and gets shot by child who had access to dads gun" this thread would have a very different tone.

From TFA:
The teen didn't open the door because he didn't recognize the woman.

Soon after, the teen heard a loud bang on the door, rushed his siblings upstairs and got a handgun from his parent's bedroom.

When he got to the top of the stairs, he saw a man break through the front door and point a gun at him.

Sounds like he has pretty good fire discipline to me. No, I don't see even a hint of a problem here, just a young man who did the right thing to protect his family, which suggests that his parents did a pretty good job with him.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
He did well and has a good head on his shoulders apparently. I did find it interesting with a couple of the words in the article though. Nearly and extremely. Is it just the way I'm reading it or does the author of the article not appove of teens actions?

A 14-year-old boy shot and nearly killed an intruder who broke into his Phoenix home ........
who was taken to a hospital in extremely critical condition and underwent surgery

Avman63

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Holmes said that the gun the teen grabbed was his father's, but did not know whether the boy had been trained to use it.

Obviously the kid was trained enough to know where it was and how to use it or this would be a different story.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ripnbst said:

I'd be proud as all get out of my son and im sure he has been taught not to touch dads gun and understood this is an instance where it would be OK but playing devil's advocate here. Pull it out of the context that the kid just shot an intruder, are the parents smart? I have a felling if this thread read "neighbor checks on kids and gets shot by child who had access to dads gun" this thread would have a very different tone.

Well, if we follow your logic then the unloaded gun would have been in one safe while the ammo would have been locked away elsewhere. From what I can read in the story, this 14 year old boy would not have had the time to load the gun and defend his siblings. Then we WOULD be discussing a different outcome.

Train your children to use a weapon and the curiosity that creates all of the tragedies the gun control crowd reference won't happen. I have multiple loaded handguns in my house and my wife and 3 teenage daughters all know how to use them.

Sorry, but an unloaded weapon is for display, not home defense.

Wheel Gun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My sons (now both Eagle Scouts)at that age knew the seriousness of firearms and their safe and effective use. I thank God that they were never put in that situation, but they knew what would have been expected of them and how to do it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

In two words, absolutely not. :rolleyes2

Latest posts

Top Bottom