17HMR vs coyotes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyparnold8108

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I watched my brother-in-law anchor one at about 150 yds on a still morning with great shot placement. The energy is certainly there, but I get out seldom enough that if a coyote steps out of cover at 250 yds, I don’t have to pass on it because I brought the wrong gun. Wind drift on that light bullet is considerable. However, same brother-in-law gets more double opportunities with the .17. It’s just not as loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Though I carry my 17 HMR while running my traps, I have shot only one coyote on foot with it. He was standing in an open field a little over 200 yds out and had no clue I was even there. When it hit him, he jumped, barked and spun around like something bit him. He looked around for a minute and started to walk away, then just kind of melted. It seemed like he didn’t even know he was hit, but it did it’s job.

Cowcatcher

Unarmed boating accident survivor
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I carry my 22-250 in the feed truck cuz it's a cheap lil rifle that fits right on the console. It makes em deader but I've shot a few with my 17wsm and they got pretty dead too. One of em was at 275yds right twix the eyes with one "hash" of holdover. I'd say you're definitely good to go at 75yds. You should be able to make kill shots easy at that distance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom