1911 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tpounds

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am working on putting together my first 1911. I think I have all the parts except the trigger and plunger tube. Does anyone have experience with the plunger tube installation? Is the tool necessary? Helpful?

tpounds

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is my starting point

Attachments

• 14824423639861513167421.jpg
    14824423639861513167421.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 224

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's ok if you have some problems. It's a 1911. It has to be tuned. Pics and brand of the parts would be great. Also show your problems and your fixes. I'll bet someone here will know how to fix.
This would be fun to see your progress and hitches.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great project! You might check out 1911forums.com too. Here's an excellent video too on the detailed process of assembly if that helps any. And yeah, I think you need the tool to install the plunger tube right.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I did one several years ago and really enjoyed the process. I don't remember what I did with the plunger tube install, but I'm sure it was wrong! There were many times I questioned the decision, but in the end, it was truly worth it. I'm sure there were things I did wrong, but I was quite happy with the finished product (after some "tuning" and redoing)

Please keep us up to date on your progress. I may get motivated to do it again!

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The plunger tube has two hollow posts that go through the left side of the frame. The reason the posts are hollow is for the use of a flaring tool to spread out the tubes on the inside of the frame so the little guy will stay put. Without the proper tool it is very difficult to get the tubes flared properly...so the plunger tube may fall away from the frame when it is not supposed to. I wouldn't really call tuning what is done to a 1911, so that it will work properly. If the parts are fit properly the gun will work. There are a lot of folks that make "drop in" parts. Some of them drop in and some don't??? If you got lucky and all of the parts drop in the pistol may work and it would be safe to shoot. But it will either be reliable and accurate or it will not be??? Considering the safety, it may drop in but if it is not properly fit it may not hold reliably and this is not a safe gun to carry. It still can be a safe gun to shoot but not to carry in condition #1...cocked and locked. Same goes for the grip safety, if it is not properly fit you will not be able to pull the trigger, or it will not block the trigger at all?? For the sear, hammer, etc. These parts can be purchased as a kit and will drop in to most any standard 1911 pistol. When purchased as a kit you can probably be confident that the engagement surface of the sear to the hammer is proper so it's safe to shoot. If you're randomly purchased a slide and a frame they'll likely have to be fit together. Did you purchase them as a kit with the slide already fit to the frame?

Latest posts

Top Bottom