Wheelchair ramp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here ever build one ? Looks like I am going to have to build one for my parents. I'm lousy at carpentry. I'm thinking about metal tubing and expanded metal. Any drawbacks with expanded metal?

Problem is the height of the porch. I haven't put a tape measure to it yet but probably close to 40" height.

I know the ada requirements for public use is 1:12. Private property can be 2:12 slope. To keep from having a ramp halfway out in the yard I'm thinking I'll need a landing half way then another ramp.

Any suggestions.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If it is that long, I would use a landing then another ramp. Try for as smooth a service as you can that still gives some traction when wet. You do not want it slick but not to bumpy either or it is hard to roll a chairs wheels on it. Most WC have an 8 x 1 front caster but some can go even smaller. At times even a door threshold can be hard to get over.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Contact your local Ambuc's. They will sometimes build ramps free of charge. There are other civic organizations that will do the same.
Do some research before installing one. Ambuc's built the ramp for my sons home.
I'll have to look up ambucs. Talihina is a one stop light town. Maybe 1000 legal residents.

2busy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Some church groups have volunteers that do community projects.
Not around here. Looks like ambuc's is a no go too.
Screenshot_20230822-230018.png

Latest posts

Top Bottom