1911 build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdkitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I am new to the idea of building a handgun. I am needing help and advise to help me along the way. I want to build a 1911-A1. What is the best way to get started? I am torn in buying or building. I am hoping this is not a complex process as to break a handgun down seems to be fairly simple. Thank you in advance for your participation and help.

jrusling

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am new to the idea of building a handgun. I am needing help and advise to help me along the way. I want to build a 1911-A1. What is the best way to get started? I am torn in buying or building. I am hoping this is not a complex process as to break a handgun down seems to be fairly simple. Thank you in advance for your participation and help.

You might want to look into the gunsmith class at the Votech. I know one class a couple of years ago built their own 1911.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW, it's not like throwing together an AR, and it involves a fair amount of knowledge and background to say the least.

doctruptwn

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your wanting to build one to save money, don't bother. It will cost as much or more than a new one. If your wantng to do it to say you did it and the pride of knowing you made what you have then go for it.

Goto m1911 forumhttp://forum.m1911.org/and look over the Gunsmithing and Technical forums. They are very detailed and cover any problem you might run into. There can be a fair amount of fitting involved so some mechanical knowledge is required. Most of the fitting can be done without special tools ( A file and some punches are needed). But the more tools you have the better.

technetium-99m

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If you're mechanically able and can pay attention to detail I promise you will end up with a gun that is better than a factory offering. But I can promise that you will spend 20-30+ hours on it.

The best part is the ability will stay with you, so the next one is that much easier.

Just my opinion.

Dr. Barry Greyson

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
doctruptwn is right on in his assessment. If you buy good parts and a matchgrade barrel you will have $900 to $1200 in it w/o finishing which can be anywhere from $60 to $350 plus mailing costs. You would be better to sign up for a class which is at least twice as expensive ( C& S pistolsmithing course and Bob Rogers' course in Arkansas) but you come home with a great gun, and the knowledge you need to build another or maintain the pistol at a high level.
Barry

PS: Technetium-99m...is also right ...and he types faster than I do ...lol
Later _ BJG

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
doctruptwn is right on in his assessment. If you buy good parts and a matchgrade barrel you will have $900 to $1200 in it w/o finishing which can be anywhere from $60 to $350 plus mailing costs. You would be better to sign up for a class which is at least twice as expensive ( C& S pistolsmithing course and Bob Rogers' course in Arkansas) but you come home with a great gun, and the knowledge you need to build another or maintain the pistol at a high level.
Barry

PS: Technetium-99m...is also right ...and he types faster than I do ...lol
Later _ BJG

I believe the C&S course is over $4,500 with everything. Business oppurtunity Barry?? :w000t:

tdkitch

Marksman
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies. I am going to look into gunsmithing classes and take it from there. Do you know of any local classes in the OKC area?

Latest posts

Top Bottom