1911 Conditions Of Readiness

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conditions of readiness

• Condition 0 - A round is in the chamber, hammer is cocked, and the safety is off.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Condition 1 - Cocked & Locked. Round chambered, hammered cocked, thumb safety on.

Votes: 87 91.6%
  • Condition 2 - A round is in the chamber and the hammer is down.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • Condition 3 - The chamber is empty and hammer is down with a charged magazine in the gun.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Condition 4 - The chamber is empty, hammer is down and no magazine is in the gun.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Condition 0 is not dangerous, if in a good holster and carried by an experienced person - there's at least 3 safeties still engaged at that point - the grip safety, the holster covering the trigger guard & trigger, and my brain. Less than no chance of ND in that circumstance. Zero or 1 are the only ways to fly. IMO.

Doc,

Please tell me that theres no reason to carry a 1911 in your holster with the thumb safety disengaged?

also please tell me that youve never carried it this way?

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Condition 0 is not dangerous, if in a good holster and carried by an experienced person - there's at least 3 safeties still engaged at that point - the grip safety, the holster covering the trigger guard & trigger, and my brain. Less than no chance of ND in that circumstance. Zero or 1 are the only ways to fly. IMO.

and my brain

No there's a problem!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Reaction score
Splain to me how it's gonna go off with two physical safeties (grip and trigger guard cover), in addition to a trained brain? Heck, if it's safer and better with 3 physical safety apparatuses rather than 2, then why stop there? Surely it's even better with 4 or 5 or 6 physical safeties, right? Condition 15 is the only way to go. Anyone who answers other than condition 15 needs to switch to another platform - this involves adding 14 additional physical safeties to the gun after you get it from the factory.

John Moses didn't have a manual safety on the original design:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/showthread.php?144283-Original-1911-Without-Thumb-Safety!

But of course, tradition and inertia trump truth, logic, and common sense every time, so carry on with your bad selves. :)

Nothing at all wrong with condition 1 - if you're trained on it, but also nothing at all wrong with condition zero - again, if you're trained on it. It's all about the training. In fact, I'll give $1,000 to anyone on this forum or anyone in the world for that matter who can take a 1911, secured snugly in a good holster, with manual disengaged (with maintained/ working grip safety spring), who can make it go off by dropping it or throwing it as hard as you want at any ground, wall or object you want, at any angle you want - who wants to take me up on this and prove me wrong? C'mon, show me how unsafe it is, and how cuuuuuuh--RAAAZZZY it is to say that carrying condition zero is just ya know, cuh-raaazzzy! Instead of just ad hominum, surely somebody can back up this claim I hear all the time with ya know, actual facts? Too bad Browning himself isn't alive, so we can tell him how stupid and crazy HE is, too! :P

Wait, I'll save ya some typing: "Well, no, you're just an idgit, that's all there is to it. Cocked N Locked, Cooper is God, Semper Fi, yada yada - don't need no stinkin facts!". You're welcome. :D

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In fact, I'll give $1,000 to anyone on this forum or anyone in the world for that matter who can take a 1911, secured snugly in a good holster, with manual disengaged (with maintained/ working grip safety spring), who can make it go off by dropping it or throwing it as hard as you want at any ground, wall or object you want, at any angle you want - who wants to take me up on this and prove me wrong?

Can I use your gun for this?

Latest posts

Top Bottom