What to do with this obsolete holster?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarondhgraham

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Me: Finds holster in the trash for gun I don't own.
Also me: Goes out next day and buys gun that fits holster.
This isn't all that far a stretch,,,
I once bought a Charter Arms Bulldog,,,
Because a non-gun friend gave me two boxes of .44 Special ammo.

He found them in his deceased father's linen closet,,,
He had no use for them so he gifted them to me,,,
It didn't make me want to find a new gun,,,
But when I did, the buy was inevitable.

I'm weak,,,

Aarond

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got this holster in a bundle box.
It's an old Safariland, leather, basketweave. Definitely an LE holster from the early to mid 90s.
It's heavily used, and it's for a pistol that was only made, as far as I can tell, for three years in the late 80s.
S&W 645.
View attachment 432209
Now, I'm not interested in selling it.
But if a member were to prove to me they currently own this pistol, I'd be willing to discuss gifting it to them.
@Glock 'em down said it could be a valuable vintage Safariland, but again it's for a rather rare and uncommon pistol (and even if someone local owned this pistol, they wouldn't carry with THIS holster).
Ok here's my conundrum.
It fits my square dust rail 1911 perfectly, minus the retention snaps.
I could cut those off and have a great range (and yard) holster, but I destroy any value of the holster itself.
When I say it fits perfectly, I mean if the snaps and leather flaps were gone this would be perfect.
This holster strap DOES NOT work with any sort of 1911 setup. It doesn't work cocked or uncocked, and the strap pushes on the safety.
But with the retention straps cut off, it's a great open holster with a great amount of leather retention for my particular square 1911. Passes the shake test.
What would y'all say and/or do?
View attachment 432210View attachment 432211View attachment 432212
I actually do have a S&W 645. As an armorer for the Oklahoma City Police Department, I attended the S&W Academy at their factory in Springfield MA in 1991 or 1992. We built 10 Model 645 pistols in the Semi-Auto Armorers School. As a FFL, I was able to purchase one of the pistols that I built. It is unfired.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
I actually do have a S&W 645. As an armorer for the Oklahoma City Police Department, I attended the S&W Academy at their factory in Springfield MA in 1991 or 1992. We built 10 Model 645 pistols in the Semi-Auto Armorers School. As a FFL, I was able to purchase one of the pistols that I built. It is unfired.
Pics with proof of life or it didn't happen.

:bolt:

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I‘d cut off the strap
I disagree. Don't cut off the strap. Find someone who can use it. I've got an Askins Avenger for the 1911here that someone cut the strap off. In a perfect universe, I'd have the time to disassemble it and do the repair it needs for me to use it. If I live a thousand years, that might happen. I once had the skills to do it, but that was about 50 years ago.

Anyone have an Askins Avenger they want to let go cheap? With the thumb strap?

BillM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This isn't all that far a stretch,,,
I once bought a Charter Arms Bulldog,,,
Because a non-gun friend gave me two boxes of .44 Special ammo.

He found them in his deceased father's linen closet,,,
He had no use for them so he gifted them to me,,,
It didn't make me want to find a new gun,,,
But when I did, the buy was inevitable.

I'm weak,,,

Aarond

Know thyself! ;) I'd really like to have a Charter .44 SP Bulldog myself. Wife has the alloy .38 SP, though she's never shot it. I've got much bigger and stronger hands, and about 10-12 rounds is all I can manage with it. Hers is pink.

Latest posts

Top Bottom