1911 Heirarchy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who makes the best (or is thought to make the best 1911's). Was looking at a Colt today but don't know how they stack up against the Kimbers, Wilsons, Les Baers. etc? What is the Heirachy supposedly? Even if it's by Price...

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
best depends on who you are talking to...
Wilson & Les Baer makes some might fine 1911's...

kinda partial to my Colt 1911 Gold Cup...

surjimmy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have owned several 1911's, and must say Les Baer is about as good as it gets. To be fair I have never owned a Wilson or a Brown, but have heard and read their all in the same class. If you ever get to fire one of the high end semi customs, it will ruin you for life. I like Baer's, one of the main reasons is I have called the factory to ask questions 8 times and have talked to Mr. Baer 5 of those times. Not only did he answer all my questions and sat and shot the bull with me each and every time.PS if you ever get to Okc look me up and I will let you shoot my Baer's, I have one in a 38 super, and one in 45.

Clampett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have owned several 1911's, and must say Les Baer is about as good as it gets. To be fair I have never owned a Wilson or a Brown, but have heard and read their all in the same class. If you ever get to fire one of the high end semi customs, it will ruin you for life. I like Baer, one of the main reasons is I have called the factory to ask questions 8 times and have talked to Mr. Baer 5 of those times. Not only did he answer all my questions and sat and shot the bull with me each and every time.

Now that is Service! Same here (contact me) if you come to Tulsa.

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
General Consensus goes something like this:
1. Full Custom builds. ie. Something from the workbench of Yost, Harrison, etc. These are guns built to order from reputable 1911 gunsmiths. Many choose to use Caspian or Colt frames and slides as a base for builds.

2. Semi Custom. These are high quality, pre-built guns that generally have the same quality as custom guns but without the uniqueness of having your own "build". ie. Ed Brown, Wilson, Nighthawk, Springfield Custom, Les Baer, etc.

3. Production. These are the rest. These do not have the scrutinized, hand fitting of Semi Custom builds. There is a great amount of diversity in the overall quality of what is considered a "production" 1911. Compare a Dan Wesson CBOB to a Taurus 1911 for instance. Huge difference in quality. Still, both are considered "production".

Latest posts

Top Bottom