1911 Q's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
After my last range session where I shot two S&W .45 snubbies and a Kimber 1911 one right after the other, I'm thinking I should stick with the 1911 platform for CCW. The snubbies will see duty as truck or pack guns, I think. Anyway, I've been looking around at higher-end 1911's, mainly from Wilson Combat or Ed Brown.

My first question is: can one actually feel the difference in quality between a 1911 from one of those two makers, compared to a Kimber CDP? It's one thing to read about how much better the QA/QC is, but I wonder if a shooter of average perception, if blindfolded and handed an example from each of these three makers, could actually sense the difference. I realize this is highly subjective, but any comments from people who have handled and shot examples from all three makers would be appreciated. Is the price difference - generally 2X to 4X more for the custom makers - really worth it?

My second question is: what are the disadvantages, if any, of the "round butt" treatment where the MSH is truncated so the butt of the 1911 does not form an acute angle at the rear? That's been my one gripe about the grip on a 1911, where this area of the grip digs into my palm especially on the compact versions.

Wall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My second question is: what are the disadvantages, if any, of the "round butt" treatment where the MSH is truncated so the butt of the 1911 does not form an acute angle at the rear? That's been my one gripe about the grip on a 1911, where this area of the grip digs into my palm especially on the compact versions.

This is what I was going to mention as the disadvantage of the bobtail, less contact surface with your palm. But, it looks like that may be what you prefer though.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why don't you come back over to the house and you can shoot my Nighthawk?

If we plan it right, I might can arrange to have a Wilson and a Les Baer here for you to try too.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first question is: can one actually feel the difference in quality between a 1911 from one of those two makers, compared to a Kimber CDP?

Yes, and more importantly they are fitted with better parts and no goofy FPSs.

Is the price difference - generally 2X to 4X more for the custom makers - really worth it?

That's really up to you. After shooting a few you should be able to make that decision. Most of the custom 1911 shops have excellent CS and lifetime warranties reguardless of owner, so that's something to consider.

None, it doesn't affect function in any way.

zoomaster1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a Kimber Pro Carry 4" bbl, but it has the full size grip, 8+1. Kimber also just came out with the Super Carry model that has a rounded butt. Might want to check out their website.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess maybe I have big hands.

+1. The rear corners of the RH grip and the MSH dig into the meat of my thumb. So a rounded MSH and grips, I think, would be the ticket.

To those of you who think there's a tangible difference in quality: could you still tell the difference if you were blindfolded and randomly given a (confirmed unloaded) 1911 of similar configuration and size from Ed Brown, Nighthawk, Wilson Combat, or Kimber? You could identify the maker - or at least, differentiate between a Kimber and the rest - using only your senses of touch and hearing?

Latest posts

Top Bottom