1911.. some assembly required.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceman755

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So question for all you hardcore tinkerers out there. Just how hard is it to build a 1911 from parts? I have this awful wicked idea of an sti full rail frame with wilson guts and nowlin bull barrel reamed to 460 rowland.

Anybody on board yet?

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am in. Sounds kick ass. I have built two Starting with bare frames. All Cylinder and Slide or Wilson parts. Have about as much in the pair as a person would have in one. The triggers turned out a little lite but other than that I am very happy. Fitting the thumb safety was about the most difficult for me.

I still want to add better sights and checker the front straps. I even machined one of the frames for the beaver tail grip safety. Go for it.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So question for all you hardcore tinkerers out there. Just how hard is it to build a 1911 from parts? I have this awful wicked idea of an sti full rail frame with wilson guts and nowlin bull barrel reamed to 460 rowland.

Anybody on board yet?

Building a 1911 from parts isn't all that hard if you good with small parts and patient, i.e. Don't rush the build. Your idea sounds like a neat build. I believe STI will sell you a slide and frame that has been fit together. This is cool cause fitting the slid and frame can be tedious. Nowlin still makes one of the best 1911 barrels you can buy. Look Angela's number up by googling Nowlin. She will sell direct to you...now located in The Morris OK area. Keep us informed on the build. Good luck.

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, but have worked on all of my 1911's and built 2 from scratch. If you have the time, money and mechanical/ metalworking skills, it's a lot of fun. Check the Roderus home gunsmith forum for much info. Take your time and figure each little problem or dilemma out before you file or grind anything. Don't be afraid to "Sub out" specific tasks, like slide cuts for sights and final trigger work. Kick around the cost of separate slide/ frame plus parts vs. buying a used or new pistol that's already 75% there- Like a SA "Loaded" pistol with rail, then re chamber or barrel and spring for .460Ro. Check Caspian out for raw frames/ slides as well.

PS- Do it for personal enjoyment. You'll probably never get as much cash out of it as you put in it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom