1911 Suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Looking for suggestions for a 1911 in rimfire. I only have one 1911 and it's not going to get a conversion put on it. :hellno:

So I'll have to have a another complete gun.

Discuss away...

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You really don't have many choices. Kimber USED to make a dedicated .22 and then you have the Colt Ace which is $$$$$. There are these little Puma? .22 1911 replicas that have recently come out. They seem really cheap upon inspection but they are like $300 so you can't expect much.

tinfinger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Chiappa is supposed to have a 1911 in 22lr; the company reputation is mixed so you would probably want to research that. USFA may or may not be making a 1911 in 22lr; if so it is probably nice and expensive.

If you are wanting the 1911 platform to fit your holsters, etc. then a conversion may be the only economical way to go at this point (Kimber no longer offering a dedicated 1911 22lr). I had a Marvel Unit 2, and it worked OK -- acually shot well -- but among other things the lack of a slide hold-open bugged me. And if you are seeking a 1911 training experience, you probably should have that hold open feature.

If you are not absolutely wedded to the 1911, any good quality 22lr pistol would offer basic shooting practice. The Ruger and the Buckmark are the standards of the class, and of course Ruger offers the 22/45 with a 1911-type grip and approximate safety.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why don't you want to use a conversion kit? Is there some problem with them?
I just don't want to have to be swapping the conversion on and off of my only 1911. Want a dedicated rimfire.
You really don't have many choices. Kimber USED to make a dedicated .22 and then you have the Colt Ace which is $$$$$. There are these little Puma? .22 1911 replicas that have recently come out. They seem really cheap upon inspection but they are like $300 so you can't expect much.
When did Kimber stop the .22 models? They are still shown on their website with a 2010 page date? I was seriously considering this.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/products/pistols/rimfire/rimfire_super/
Chiappa is supposed to have a 1911 in 22lr; the company reputation is mixed so you would probably want to research that. USFA may or may not be making a 1911 in 22lr; if so it is probably nice and expensive.

If you are wanting the 1911 platform to fit your holsters, etc. then a conversion may be the only economical way to go at this point (Kimber no longer offering a dedicated 1911 22lr). I had a Marvel Unit 2, and it worked OK -- acually shot well -- but among other things the lack of a slide hold-open bugged me. And if you are seeking a 1911 training experience, you probably should have that hold open feature.

If you are not absolutely wedded to the 1911, any good quality 22lr pistol would offer basic shooting practice. The Ruger and the Buckmark are the standards of the class, and of course Ruger offers the 22/45 with a 1911-type grip and approximate safety.

I may end up going with a Ruger 22/45. Just want a real 1911 and was kind of thinking about the Kimber OR a RIA or similar and a conversion for that. I'm just exploring all my options here.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shadow,

I shoot a Marvel conversion, Unit 2. It is shaped just like the govt model, so it fits in all of my holsters just fine. They are extremely easy to take on and off... it can litterally be done in under 60 seconds.

I use it on my Nighthawk frame.

If you're interested in this, let me know and I think I can get you one for quite a bit cheaper. :)

Also, I am about to place an order for some frames and slides, if you would like me to add another to it for you I can. It will be a gunsmith frame though, so we'll have to fit it to the conversion kit, but that won't be too bad. Should be around $150 or less per frame.

Stan

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shadow,

I shoot a Marvel conversion, Unit 2. It is shaped just like the govt model, so it fits in all of my holsters just fine. They are extremely easy to take on and off... it can litterally be done in under 60 seconds.

I use it on my Nighthawk frame.

If you're interested in this, let me know and I think I can get you one for quite a bit cheaper. :)

Also, I am about to place an order for some frames and slides, if you would like me to add another to it for you I can. It will be a gunsmith frame though, so we'll have to fit it to the conversion kit, but that won't be too bad. Should be around $150 or less per frame.

Stan
I'll keep it in mind, but I'm a ways off just yet. Still in the "making up my mind" stage and that can take awhile. :preocc:

BigRed82

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can always go the dedicated lower route. Build a 1911 frame to your specifications and then stick a Marvel unit or a tac solutions 2211 on top. That would give you a dedicated 1911 .22. It would cost significantly more than a Buckmark or a Ruger, but it would be a 1911 .22.

There is a reason Buckmarks and Rugers are so popular. :wink2:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When did Kimber stop the .22 models? They are still shown on their website with a 2010 page date? I was seriously considering this.

Hrmmm.... They might still make them then? I saw a Wilson dedicated .22 recently. Probably the most expensive .22 I've ever seen. :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom