1977 Diner Prices - Cheeseburger 55 cents, yes, cents

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Diner prices from 1977. Remember when...

upload_2020-5-5_16-57-54.png

thor447

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Man, $1.05 for a cheeseburger, fries, and a shake. Now that costs us $15, and it was better back then. Burger wasn't processed like we do today, fries were probably fresh cut, and real ice cream shakes instead of this powdered nonsense we get today. Same quality of food today would probably cost us $20 for the meal.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Somewhere I have an old menu from either the Wide-Awake or the Around The Corner cafe here in Edmond. I can not remember the year but I think it was 1950s. The prices were amazingly low compared to what we pay today. If I remember correctly a T-bone with all the fixins was around $1.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How much were the average man making in 77? I was 8 then and we lived payday to payday as mom stayed home and we had one car. Dad probably made less than $1000 a month gross, Closer to $500 probably

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How much were the average man making in 77? I was 8 then and we lived payday to payday as mom stayed home and we had one car. Dad probably made less than $1000 a month gross, Closer to $500 probably

I was working for Putnam City Campus Police Dept in 1977 and the starting pay was $481 per month.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heck, when I was in high school, there was still a hamburger joint that sold hamburgers for a quarter and cheeseburgers for thirty-five cents. They were about like McDonalds burgers, but, hey, when you're a broke kid, that stuff's pretty dang good.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Somewhere I have an old menu from either the Wide-Awake or the Around The Corner cafe here in Edmond. I can not remember the year but I think it was 1950s. The prices were amazingly low compared to what we pay today. If I remember correctly a T-bone with all the fixins was around $1.
There used to be a Wide Awake Cafe in Shawnee, along with several others that are long gone.

I had forgotten about it until I read your post.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My aunt worked at McDonalds she is in her 70's now and she said there was a down stairs and 2 people down there cutting potatoes into fries. All day long.

My son is a truck driver and he got a few nice steaks from another truck driver that delivered to walmart and there was 1 pallet too many of those steaks.
That trucker was giving them away as much as you wanted because walmart would not accept them and he had to get on down the road.
The label on the package said fresh never frozen.
They were frozen hard as concrete.
I got salmon that way ..stated fresh never frozen.. buddy you can't ship a never frozen salmon to Oklahoma and have it still be good.

Latest posts

Top Bottom