2 or 4??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elcaBob

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, you knew SOMEONE had to ask it. It's an annual OKShooters tradition!

I'd think 4 wheel would be best, but I don't have any real knowledge on the subject. It just seems logical to me.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Having been a professional truck driver and involved with farming and ranching, thus needing to use 4WD a lot, I can attest to a few things I've learned first hand and from others.

A good driver with 4X2 can be better than a mediocre one with a 4X4.

A 4X4 is guaranteed to be able to take you where a wrecker can't get you out.

If in the wrong hands, a 4X4 can put you into the ditch as quick as all get out. YOU HAVE TO KNOW WHICH WAY YOUR FRONT WHEELS ARE POINTED!

I had to pull a guy out one time that decided that he needed to hit the upcoming snow drift at a good rate of speed. He got into it fast enough that he went far enough that he high-centered and couldn't go either forward or back. Go in slow, and you can almost always back out. Oh, and I had to pull him out with a farm tractor because my 4X4 couldn't have done it, even with me being on solid ground with good traction.

And last but not least that I've learned since we moved to the city, just because you have four wheel drive doesn't mean you can drive as you normally would with 2WD. Some of the first ones seen in the ditches after an ice or snow storm are 4X4's.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
4x4 all the way. Unles there was over 6 inches of snow I use to be able to get anywhere in my 96 cavalier. Drove many icy miles on I-40. Never left me stranded. I miss that car.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I used to have a '73 Ford half ton pickup with a posi. Pulled many 4x4s out of snow, sand, mud, and up some real steep riverbanks. I got it stuck once when I ventured onto what looked like solid ground but was actually real quicksand under some stuff that had blown over it. It stopped sinking when it was in about halfway up the door. Took a big four wheel drive tractor to pull me out. The real adventure was getting down to the hitch (real stout 2 inch receiver). Damn near drowned.

Pulled a young man in a small car out of the snow west of Lawton one nasty day. He had slid off the road and was 'way out by the fence. He was in a tux and almost late for his wedding. I have never seen anyone so grateful.

For several years I owned a K-5 Blazer. I drove it to work one day when drifts were up to a couple of feet. The parking lot had a large area which was drifted about twelve to fourteen inches deep.

I put it in four wheel drive and made a slow circle through the drift with no touble. Unfortunately several people saw my tracks and assumed they could safely park there. They got in, but at quitting time them were stuck. I think I pulled six of them out. Never admitted making the tracks.

Latest posts

Top Bottom