Need to move a suburban. Need a dolly or trailer.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a tow bar.
You can have it for free and for keeps if you come get it.
I built a tow dolly years ago from front spindles off a Nova.
Made it wider than the ones you buy because those you could not fit an E150 van on.

It had a solid treadplate platform that did not pivot.

Hard to turn corners like that so the fix was to unlock the steering and remove one tierod on the vehicle being towed.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a tow bar.
You can have it for free and for keeps if you come get it.
I built a tow dolly years ago from front spindles off a Nova.
Made it wider than the ones you buy because those you could not fit an E150 van on.

It had a solid treadplate platform that did not pivot.

Hard to turn corners like that so the fix was to unlock the steering and remove one tierod on the vehicle being towed.

Not sure that's gonna work for 100 miles on a 4x4. Even with the axles dropped.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With a tow bar the vehicle being towed should not matter.
As long as the vehicle towing is big enough.
I have towed trucks many miles with a Tow bar.

And i have towed many vehicles with chains wrapped around the bumper attachment points then fasten a fat car tire without a rim between the 2 vehicles and pull the 2 vehicles up tight together squishing that 12" wide tire a bit.

Secure the chains with wire so they do not come apart and you have a poor man tow bar.

If the brakes work on the vehicle in the back maybe a buddy could help you drag it home with a tow strap.

Some cars today have plastic bumpers and I have removed those and attached the tow bar to the bumper mounts (steel)
If you like your chrome front bumper you could remove it and attach the bar to the frame bumper mounts.

But surely there is a trailer somewhere.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What kind of tow rig will you be using?

I have a 94 Chevy K2500 (3/4 ton 4x4) with a heavy duty receiver hitch, tri-ball, trailer brake controller, and 7 wire plug (I have an extension and adapters for 6 and 4 wire too), and equipped with load range E tires. :)

1712261951294.png

Last edited:

madokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
a friend of mine has a 2023 6.4 hemi 3/4 Ram 4x4,,and a 30 ft 3 axle trailer , he is heading up to tulsa now ,he will be free early next week,,i am sure he wont loan out the trailer, but he is experienced doing hauling jobs like this and he will only charge a fair price..he might take a gun or something in trade.PM me

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom