2 or 4??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've also pulled wreckers out, and even an OHP suv that was stuck on SH33 that wreckers couldn't/wouldn't get to. I'm just winching, not loading them in the back of my Jeep, so I'm not exactly competing with what wreckers were designed to do. I imagine half the cars getting towed at the police rate are just getting auctioned from the impound a month later anyways...

Justify all you want, still illegal. Recovery falls under wrecker services by state law. I'll just leave this here... http://www.dps.state.ok.us/ws/WSManual.pdf

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Justify all you want, still illegal. Recovery falls under wrecker services by state law. I'll just leave this here... http://www.dps.state.ok.us/ws/WSManual.pdf

Maybe I missed it in the link you left, but nowhere did I see that a person cannot stop and help pull someone out. I see the regulations for a licensed wrecker service, and what they have to follow, but I don't see where it says you have to be a wrecker service to help out.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe I missed it in the link you left, but nowhere did I see that a person cannot stop and help pull someone out. I see the regulations for a licensed wrecker service, and what they have to follow, but I don't see where it says you have to be a wrecker service to help out.

“Wrecker or wrecker vehicle” means any motor vehicle that is equipped with any device
designed to towanother vehicle or combination of vehicles. The use of the term“wrecker” or “wrecker
vehicle” shall be construed to include a combination wrecker or combination wrecker vehicle, as
defined in paragraph 2 of this section, unless a specific differentiation is otherwise described;

I guess since I'm not towing, I'm ok.

It sucks to think some people believe helping someone out for free should be a crime.

okiebryan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are accepting compensation for recovery or towing services, or towing something that doesn't belong to you, it's against state law. I've seen OHP impound vehicles for doing this. Reading the definitions isn't going to get you what you are looking for.

Even if it wasn't illegal, I've posted numerous reasons why it's wrong. Do what you do.

Latest posts

Top Bottom