20/20 Story Police Officers Speeding (Non emergency) What does OSA think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was once told by several LEO's I know that their reason for speeding was people just literally drive stupid and cause traffic jams when the see them. Everyone is OMG there's a cop, and automatically drive 5 MPH slower than the speed limit and back traffic up everywhere, and make road conditions worse. I find that pretty true to my experiences around town.

Now cops that get 1-2 ft from your rear bumper and decide they want to drive there for a few miles is a different story. They need kicked in the junk and their badges taken. Either flip the lights on and get to business, or quit breaking the law and being a prick, especially when they do it at night, chaps my ass.

Last edited:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A now-retired OHP Trooper told me that they get fewer complaints when they do at least 5MPH over than when they do the speed limit.

Personally, I'd prefer that they be moving their happy little asses right along, rather than causing traffic to bunch up--that crap's no good for anyone, and bloody dangerous for all involved. On surface streets, they should be moving a few MPH faster, but they need to be hotel alpha on the highways and interstates...

jsl_pt

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
seen this story (I think the same one) before. No surprising at all. I'm on the road all day in a company car so I have to drive really good since company name on car. However I notice cops doing all kinds of stupid stuff all day, nothing new to me, but yeah running stop signs, even red lights, speeding, riding my ass after approaching me on the highway with me doing near speed limit and them approaching at 10-15mph more, nothing surprises me any more. Of course I see many many non cops doing the same stuff, so not surprising cops do it to, just figure being in a police car they may try a little harder to follow the same rules that their fellow officer would pull me over for if I broke.

Brandi

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I was a LEO I would always call out fellow officers for speeding, not wearing seat belt, improper lane changes, failure to signal, failure to come to a complete stop.....It would irritate the crap out of them but I'd always say "how do expect the public to follow the rules when you guys don't?". I'd get "alright, alright, you're right" and they would drive the right way eventually (well more than they did before), I really doubt it stuck.

Some of the worst infractions I've ever seen by LEO's were by OKCPD. Holy crap, some of those guys are worse than any civilian I ever cited. One recently came hauling butt northbound on the Lake Hefner Parkway so fast he almost rear ended the car in the lane next to me. The guy driving the car must have seen the cruiser coming up on him fast because his car wobbled as he was searching for an out but had nowhere to go. The cop rode about 6 inches from this poor guys rear end several minutes until changing lanes and accelerating to mach I and then cutting back across three lanes into the Britton exit. I was sooo mad...every single time these turds do that crap they make it 20X harder on all the officers doing it right.

caojyn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
When I was a LEO I would always call out fellow officers for speeding, not wearing seat belt, improper lane changes, failure to signal, failure to come to a complete stop.....It would irritate the crap out of them but I'd always say "how do expect the public to follow the rules when you guys don't?". I'd get "alright, alright, you're right" and they would drive the right way eventually (well more than they did before), I really doubt it stuck.

Did you ever write them a ticket? If not, then why?

cmhbob

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
One of the things that was stressed to me when I was an MP was that we had to as close to perfect as we could get. The drill sergeants and instructors said we had no right to enforce regs that we weren't meeting ourselves. I tried to stay with that as a cop later.

Latest posts

Top Bottom