20/20 Story Police Officers Speeding (Non emergency) What does OSA think?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacherman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread was not started nor intended to be a LEO bashing session.

I am thankful that they are willing to risk their lives every time that put on the uniform and be out on the streets.

On the other hand in an emergency situation everyone one of us would want them to get to us as quick as they possibly can. Your life may depend on how quick they arrive on scene.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This thread was not started nor intended to be a LEO bashing session.

I am thankful that they are willing to risk their lives every time that put on the uniform and be out on the streets.

On the other hand in an emergency situation everyone one of us would want them to get to us as quick as they possibly can. Your life may depend on how quick they arrive on scene.

No worries ... even though the urban legends all say I'm biased :wink2: I have no problem with threads discussing much of anything. Like I have said in other threads discussing law enforcement matters, they are left open or shut down (at least by me anyway) on their own merit ... :)

cktad

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they are not responding to an emergency or an official non-emergency call that they need to respond to quickly, then they should obey the same laws they are paid to enforce.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I didn't see the special so I can't comment on the special.

5 over on the highway is one thing I guess but we've had discussions here about running full throttle without the lights going and the opinion seemed to be "well if I can't speed then don't expect me to respond to stuff like a burglary call in a timely manner" This opinion was stated by a few LEOs here and seemed to be unchallenged.

As a test I posted in a speeding thread and said that if I can't speed then don't expect me to respond to a systems down call in a timely manner. Boy that didn't go over well, even got some flack from LEOs on that. lol

I think there's a segment of the population that are really incensed by anything that police do "SEE, SEE?! HE DIDN'T USE HIS TURN SIGNAL. WHAT A HYPOCRITE, HE WRITES TICKETS FOR THIS SAME STUFF!" so there's not much pleasing them anyway.

But speaking in generalities, I feel that if they're not running code then they should drive like everyone else. Within 5-10% of the speed limit and use their signals, don't tailgate, follow the 5 second rule, stop at right turn on red, etc.

WNM

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd like to say thanks to the Poteau Police car yesterday doing 85-90 down Hwy 1 between Ada and Mcalester. I tucked in behind you and made my reservations at Pete's despite leaving too late.

JonDough

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand a little speeding sometime...some times there are things going on that we don't know about. BUT..............I don't give a **** WHERE you are going or for what reason. IF you are not lit up and screaming then USE YOUR TURN SIGNAL PROPERLY, WEAR YOUR SEATBELT, STOP COMPLETELY AT SIGNALS AND SIGNS, DO NOT SHOVE YOUR CAR IN BETWEEN TWO OTHER VEHICLES WHEN THERE'S NOT PROPER ROOM, CHANGE LANES CORRECTLY, AND DO NOT GET ON AND RIDE MY (Or anyone else's) ASS! (I'll brake check your ass every time...then when you pull me over, I'll say "didn't you see that cat in the road?? oh of course you didn't because you were too close to my vehicle....by the way, what's the proper code for following too closely??") Also, if you are going to follow me around, expect me to pull over to call you on it... and IF you pull over too and ASK me why I pulled over, I'm going to let you know that you were following me since such and such location and obviously wanted to discuss something with me. Don't think I'm some dumb ass kid that's going to take ANY undeserved ****.

Now...all that said. If I do something wrong, and you pull me over and treat me like an adult, I'm going to be 100% respectful and do whatever I should, and do whatever I can to make the stop comfortable for you and me both. (let you know you are safe and not in the presence of someone that's going to try to attack you or something stupid).

It's the small percentage of dumbasses that make any profession look bad. Most LE guys and gals are great. But man, that small bunch that aren't sure can piss ya off.

elwoodtrix

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think there's a segment of the population that are really incensed by anything that police do "SEE, SEE?! HE DIDN'T USE HIS TURN SIGNAL. WHAT A HYPOCRITE, HE WRITES TICKETS FOR THIS SAME STUFF!" so there's not much pleasing them anyway.

when the ticket costs $195 for the infraction, I can see their point

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I can understand a little speeding sometime...some times there are things going on that we don't know about. BUT..............I don't give a **** WHERE you are going or for what reason. IF you are not lit up and screaming then USE YOUR TURN SIGNAL PROPERLY, WEAR YOUR SEATBELT, STOP COMPLETELY AT SIGNALS AND SIGNS, DO NOT SHOVE YOUR CAR IN BETWEEN TWO OTHER VEHICLES WHEN THERE'S NOT PROPER ROOM, CHANGE LANES CORRECTLY, AND DO NOT GET ON AND RIDE MY (Or anyone else's) ASS! (I'll brake check your ass every time...then when you pull me over, I'll say "didn't you see that cat in the road?? oh of course you didn't because you were too close to my vehicle....by the way, what's the proper code for following too closely??") Also, if you are going to follow me around, expect me to pull over to call you on it... and IF you pull over too and ASK me why I pulled over, I'm going to let you know that you were following me since such and such location and obviously wanted to discuss something with me. Don't think I'm some dumb ass kid that's going to take ANY undeserved ****.

Now...all that said. If I do something wrong, and you pull me over and treat me like an adult, I'm going to be 100% respectful and do whatever I should, and do whatever I can to make the stop comfortable for you and me both. (let you know you are safe and not in the presence of someone that's going to try to attack you or something stupid).

It's the small percentage of dumbasses that make any profession look bad. Most LE guys and gals are great. But man, that small bunch that aren't sure can piss ya off.

...lol......:bighug::bighug::bighug:........:pms2:.........:police2:

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I challenge all the doubters to go for a ride along with your local police/sheriffs dept. It may open your eyes to why people do what they do. And for some, there is just NO pleasing you...and we are allowed by law to drive above the speed limit, run stop signs/lights, etc.....do some research. Yes there are stipulations to that. There was one comment about seeing officers activate their lights through an intersection and then shut them off to go to lunch. I doubt that one....In 16 years of law enforcement I've never seen that. Maybe headed to the bathroom because if you don't you may **** yourself..... We are under a microscope at all times. Most people are ignorant to what our job entails. That's why I encourage the ride along.

Latest posts

Top Bottom