20% Pay-Cut (furlough). How about some money saving ideas...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
20% Pay-Cut (furlough). How about some money saving ideas...

Hi guys,
There are a number of us OSA members that’s going to have to endure the 20% cut in pay (i.e. work week reduced to 4 working days). Some people are already living paycheck to paycheck with little extra cash, so this cut will be very difficult.

When cash is short, there are two options available:
1) Find alternate income, or 2) reduce your existing spending.

Option 2) is more easily within our control and is most easily overlooked since we’ve all grown accustomed to the ‘normal’ monthly bills. So I’d like to start a thread about ways to help cut spending.
Not all options will be viable for everyone, so this is a thread for brainstorming ideas for ways to cut costs. Remember – this 20% cut is for (up to) 6 months, so think short/mid-term. We have about 1.5 to 2 months until the pay-cut kicks in, so this allows some time to make arrangements and prepare.

I’ll start with the easy ideas (no order):

1) Insurance. Review your house and car insurance - think Deductibles and Coverage’s. Increasing your deductible from $250 to $1000 can save you a lot in premiums. Is your coverage still correct? Can you handle less coverage? Do you still need full coverage on the vehicle?

2) Cable TV. Look at your cable bill. Cut back to basic, or cut it off completely if you can handle it.
What – NO TV?!?!? Yah, I know. Here’s some ways to help you find your fix: Get a Free-to-air-Antenna, Watch movies free Online (Hulu), or go to the library and check out VHS/DVD movies.
(Tip: For Hulu – consider ways to connect your computer to the big-screen TV – but also review your internet download limits.)

3) Cell-phone. Can you scale back on your options? If necessary, cancel the contract - pay the cancellation fee ($200~ish?) and save the expensive monthly cell plan ($100+/month). Remember this furlough is for up to 6 month. So $-200 up front and save $600 down the road.
…Consider a cheap basic pre-paid no-contract phone such as (TracFone, Straight-Talk, Net10).
I bought my (two) basic phones outright ($50-$80/each) and then buy the minutes as you need them. Total upfront $150-200 (total for both phones + 1200 minutes included for each) and I spend a total of $17 per month for 2 phones using the TracFone Family Value Plan. Search eBay for ‘TracFone Triple 1200’.
Note: I am not a heavy phone user, and NO – it’s not the coolest phone. BUT IT’S NEW, IT WORKS, AND IT SAVES MONEY.

4) Home Phone. If you don’t use the home phone much, consider cutting the home phone. Lots of people cut the home phone and go completely with cell-phone only.
Or keep the home phone and get the lowest cost (local only) option. Cut the long-distance carrier, and use the cell-phone for long-distance.

5) Electric bill. Think home electric consumption. It’s common knowledge that turning down the thermostat can save you some money. Go buy a $20 programmable thermostat and set it to automatically turn the temperature down when you’re asleep and when you’re away at work. When you’re at home, try to handle a (slightly) cooler setting and wear that Turtle-neck sweater your mother-in-law gave you.
...And for this summer - consider enrolling in the OG&E Smart-hours program. Use less Energy DURING PEAK HOURS - and you can save some good money off electric bills. For first-time Smart-hour customers, OG&E guarantees you save money or they'll charge you the equivalent cost if you were not enrolled. (WIN-WIN) (They've done this in the past, but verify before enrolling)

6) Eat-out-less. This is pretty straight forward.
Home: Buy more at the Grocery store (no, not the junk food) - and don’t eat out as much.
Work: Think about taking lunches to work also. Eating at the work cafeteria gets expensive also.

7) TSP savings. (Fed employees only) Are you saving for your retirement via TSP? If so, consider reducing the % contribution. Take note - going below 5% reduces your agency matching. But if times are tough, you got to do what you got to do….

8) Carpool. Gasoline gets expensive. Can you split the costs with another neighbor worker on the same shift schedule?

9) Habits/Hobbies. Try to reduce or limit the expensive costs. (Reduce smoking, drink less, spend less on the Hot-rod, Shoot the cheaper bullet calibers, play with the electric RC car instead of the Nitro-gas RC, etc….)

10) Sodas. Drink water instead. Or bring home-made tea for drinks. (The boss might not approve of bringing the long-island tea, haha)

11) Internet access. Depending on what tier of internet access you have (super-fast), then possibly reduce your level of internet speeds. This depends on if your internet provider has options.

12) Refinancing debts.
Home: Home financing rates are low right now. You may be able to get a lower rate on your home loan, and reduce your monthly bill.
Credit Cards: If you have month-to-month Credit card debt at high interest rate, consider moving to a lower rate card or roll it into the house loan.

13) Water bills. Don't water the lawn. ...during a drought.

Ok, that’s all I got. These are just brainstorming ideas.
I have already done quite a few (not all) of the above, but these may not be right for you.
***YOU*** must do your own research. Run the numbers before initiating anything.
Now is the time to start saving, before you get in a pinch.

If you have any other ideas, let us all know.

Last edited:

tharper

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good stuff. Watching this myself. I'm already a 4 day a week worker, I bet if we end up furloughed they'll swap us to 5 8's so we lose less hours. Wife can pick up some more hours and I'm looking at a few options for a little extra income. Already looking at how to cut monthly bills so its a little easier on us. Definitely going to be hard if this happens.

gunnut

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Consult with your physician about switching to generic medication. Also save by getting 90 day refills.

Shop around for discounts on items you buy. Take advantage of stores that will price match, including online retailers. Buy in bulk if it saves you money and it is something you will use. Get in the habit of using coupons.

In the winter, open the blinds and let the sun in. In the summer, close the shades and keep it dark. Switch to CFL and/or LED lights.

Invest in an insulating wrap for your hot water heater.

Check the fees you pay for banking. Maybe it's time to switch to another bank/credit union. Stop paying fees at ATM's.

Davs2601

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info. Im in the same boat and im hoping it wont come to this, but im planning for the worst. I plan on tighten our belt a bit and we will be fine. Hopefully we wont need to dip into savings. Its a bad timefor us also. We owe $2000 in taxes, have a baby due in sep and now the dipshits on the hill cant figure things out.

I may try to pick up a weekend job, but im a reservist so itwould be tough to juggle another commitment

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On the electric bill keep in mind that every appliance (coffee maker, tv, microwave, computer, etc.) uses electricity even when it is turned "off". Might not add up to much, but when you are broke, even a little bit can make a difference. Shut those appliances off by unplugging them when they are not in use, or turning them off at the power bar they are plugged into. You will have to wait a little bit for them to power up (and the coffee won't come on automatically) but hey! if you are trying to save money, well ...

Also, you'd be surprised just how easy it is to grow salad greens and sprouts. Even if you can't get anything else to grow you can grow salad greens and spinach. Stagger your plantings so you have some "coming in" every week or so. You can also "cut and come again" which is taking off the outer leaves and leaving the inner leaves to continue growing. Keep in mind that these vegetables are not heat resistant and will bolt when it gets really hot. But, again ... have you seen how much a head of lettuce or bag of spinach is at the store these days??

Don't use the whole green onion you get in the bunches at the store. Just use the green tops. Put the roots in water and the green part will grow back. You can get that mild onion flavor without having to continually buy green onions.

Bake your own breads. You can have a loaf of bread for 1/10th what a loaf costs you at the store. I posted an Amish Bread recipe here somewhere. If anyone wants it again, I'll repost or PM it to you. Just ask.

This one seems obvious but it might not be if you are used to eating a lot. Check the CVS, Dollar Store and Walgreen's flyers every week. Some of the best sales on some food items are at these places. Just be careful that you are not getting individual sized servings ... Gotta pay attention to the fine print.

Make your own household cleaners and laundry soap. Use white vinegar to clean with. You may never go back to store-bought household cleaners again. Same deal with the cleaner recipes. If you want them, tell me and I'll post or PM them to you.

Uhmmm, I'm sure I can think of some more things later. I hate spending my money on stuff if I can make do with something else that is cheaper (and a lot of times healthier) for me in the long run.

Biggsly

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
20% Pay-Cut (furlough).

When cash is short, there are two options available:
1) Find alternate income, or 2) reduce your existing spending.

If the Government can ever figure this ^^^^ out, we will all be in better shape.
My company has cut hours back. It sucks. I have been talking to some people about going back into the patch for a couple of more years. Not 100% sure if I want to or not, but the pay would be alot better then what I am making now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom