2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Are you mainly harvesting for meat or trophy? I’m pretty new to this. One each year has been harvested the past 4 years. First was a younger buck. 2nd was an older one. Both seemed tougher and gamyer that the next 2 does. I DID process the does myself rather than a professional processor and tried to be a little more meticulous about removing gray connective tissues a fat. Eating was much improved. Was it the fact of being a doe or the processing? Hesitant to take an older buck for that reason
I can’t speak for retrieverman, but I’ve eaten a lot of deer. Processing makes all the difference in the world. My guess is that you did a better job taking care of your meat than the processor. Clean meat that stays cold should not be gamey or overly tough. I blame crappy processing for the reputation of wild animals are gamey. Except geese, wild geese are unfit for consumption.

And this just something I’ve noticed a lot of people do with deer meat, but People don’t eat brown beef, I don’t know why they want to eat brown venison. If your meat has turned brown or green on the outside, it’s gonna taste “bad/gamey”. It needs to be red when you cook it, if it’s got some brown on it just excise the top layer until you get down to red. You can’t cook brown meat and expect it to taste good.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Where’s the pics? My son took a little hair off a doe’s belly this morning. Another buddys 11 year old son took a nice doe a couple miles from us. I saw them about 10 and it was already bloated up. Too hot for me just yet.
The ticks were releasing off that doe and they were everywhere.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Where’s the pics? My son took a little hair off a doe’s belly this morning. Another buddys 11 year old son took a nice doe a couple miles from us. I saw them about 10 and it was already bloated up. Too hot for me just yet.
The ticks were releasing off that doe and they were everywhere.
Yuck, I'll wait lol.

LittleLoggie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Screenshot_20231001_160611_Facebook.jpeg

Latest posts

Top Bottom