2023 Deer Pics/Chat/Excuses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Neither of my daughters tagged out this year. First time ever. They couldn’t go hunting this weekend but my older daughter’s boyfriend really wanted a deer, so he went with me. We hunted our butts off and I did everything I could to put him on deer, but no luck. Then this evening I took him to a friends place. We had fawns in the field for an hour before a mature doe showed up. He wanted to wait for another to show up so we would both have an opportunity. About 20 mins later, another mature doe walked in and we did the ol’ 3, 2, 1, shoot bit. His doe was 247 yds out and mine was just over 300. He used my 6.8 Western with 170 gr Berger EOL’s, which is what made the baseball sized hole you see here.

View attachment 433999View attachment 434000View attachment 434001
Congrats to both of you!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I saw lots of bucks, lots of does during this gun season, but none bigger than last year. Missed MZ season and part of early archery to our travels.
I try to always take one bigger every year, going 8 years once without taking a buck following that guideline.
The exception being mature 6 points or really freeky racks. We don't want those in the herd.
Still have a lot of meat in the freezer from a big buck last year and had some amazing elk steaks tonight for dinner, so not missing any meals of my favorite meat.
Back to archery season, so there is still a chance.

AER244

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Neither of my daughters tagged out this year. First time ever. They couldn’t go hunting this weekend but my older daughter’s boyfriend really wanted a deer, so he went with me. We hunted our butts off and I did everything I could to put him on deer, but no luck. Then this evening I took him to a friends place. We had fawns in the field for an hour before a mature doe showed up. He wanted to wait for another to show up so we would both have an opportunity. About 20 mins later, another mature doe walked in and we did the ol’ 3, 2, 1, shoot bit. His doe was 247 yds out and mine was just over 300. He used my 6.8 Western with 170 gr Berger EOL’s, which is what made the baseball sized hole you see here.

View attachment 433999View attachment 434000View attachment 434001
Congratulations @undeg01 and friend!

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
drt.jpg

Dorkus

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Don't know about ya'll but I'm fixin to get me a mess of "corn fed " squirrel to go with my breakfast eggs....little suckers are getting fat.
I fought squirrels for years in my backyard and finally threw the while flag and accepted defeat. They now have their own feeder as my award to them for their victory. They are also getting fat and lazy. Spoils of war I guess.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On opening evening of archery season 2020, I was in a ground blind under a cedar and got pretty dang close to this happening. She knew something wasn’t right but couldn’t smell me or get me to move, so eventually, she gave up and moved on. I really expected her to blow my cover and ruin the hunt. :anyone:

Latest posts

Top Bottom