2024 Health Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So anecdotes don't work, and that's fair, but look up the instances of treatable cancer deaths in the UK.... documented long MRI and long breast scan wait times in Canada.
Several years ago, I was traveling back and forth to Italy, for a machine tool purchase and training. 5 Italian guys came over with the machine to do installation, and checkout, so I asked them about their socialized medicine. They said for general things, it was pretty good, and if you needed a heart transplant, they would give you one but chances were that one would die before the procedure could take place because of the wait times.
The wealthy in Italy go to private doctors and hospitals where they have to pay to get better health care. That's only one country, I have zero idea how the others operate that are supposed to be better than ours.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a good friend in Canada, he comes to the states for his major medical care as the weight list and sub par care he and his family receive is disgusting.
I had my open heart surgery in Cleveland at arguably one of the best Cardiac hospital in the world. They have wings with apartments for the wealthy from all over the world that also leave their free universal health care systems in order to receive EXCELLENT care.
I also have oversea friends in Canada (Montreal) and in Germany (Heidelberg) and both have told me that the medical, dental, and eye care is excellent with no cost and very little wait-time to access it. I think that just like in the United States, quality of care and availability can differ a lot depending on where you're at.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We are blessed that the OKC VA is tied in with the OU Med Center. Their resident doctors just coming out of school are eager to apply their new skills and really push medical care. There is always a doctor overseeing their procedures and recommendations, but they have been spot on for me.
Other places like you said don't have that influx of new doctors. Walter Reed, has been found covered in black mold in the past, with rooms having leaking pipes, and so on. The majority of VA hospitals are probably somewhere that one would go as a last resort, but not OKC.
That is how socialized medicine typically turns out.
I think that you are speaking more about the infrastructure, much of which is VERY old (Walter Reed - 1909), (Dallas - 1940), (Atlanta - 1966). Most VA Medical Centers were established during World War ll and despite constant upgrades they cannot keep up with the decay and never-ending failure of the old systems in place. I'm actually surprised that they do as well as they do, with what they have to work with.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
$812 a month for a Gold plan for me as a single, for a policy not half as good as the one I had when I was working. I don’t know where they got the name Affordable Healthcare Act cause it sure as heck ain’t affordable.

I’ll probably downgrade my coverage during open enrollment and just roll the dice. I’d have to get awful sick to have $12,000 in medical bills, so I can’t see paying that for just the premium with an additional $1200 deductible and $9100 OOP.

Two 12 year olds could have come up with something better than this. It takes Congress to screw up something this badly.

And there are idiots out there that want the goobermint totally in charge of it all. Look at the VA.

Wif pays around $180 / month, just for Medicare Plan B
I can't get on Plan B or any insurance, yet, because of company bending me over.

Looked into a prescription drug Plan. What a freaking joke. I have 2 BP meds. Insurance is about $10 / month, with $600 deductible, then $20 co-pay.

I filled BOTH on Wednesday, told pharmacy no insurance, 90 supply, $48.
When I had company insurance, the 90 day supply co-pay was $32. Most co-pays were $8-$12

I thinking of changing my name to Daquan Habib Valdez, see if that helps.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I pay $200 a pay period for me. My wife works for the hospital and pays $40 a pay period. Depending what happens with my insurance for 2024, I may switch to hers

If you are able.

Son tried to add his Wife, her company insurance is ridiculously high. Company refused, because she had an employer availble plan. She filed as single and saved some over family Plan and his plan covers kids.

Odumbass Care royally screwed things up.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also have oversea friends in Canada (Montreal) and in Germany (Heidelberg) and both have told me that the medical, dental, and eye care is excellent with no cost and very little wait-time to access it. I think that just like in the United States, quality of care and availability can differ a lot depending on where you're at.

I was on a purchasing team, looking into some instrumentation from a company in The Netherlands. Became good friends with one the techs.

Asked him about their medical care? He said, everything paid for, long waits on serious conditions, had to be approved by a goobermint review panel, doctors were apethic, most were drunks and many incompetent. The hospitals were old and rundown. Most instruments were rusty and worked intermittently. The beds broken down, mattresses wore out and you provided your own bedding, towels, toiletries, meals, etc. He paid 48% income tax. The wealthy went to Switzerland and paid for private Healthcare. He thought ours was much better.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

One of my clients owns a Canadian company, says the wait times and care are garbage. He basically says, don't get real sick. I find it interesting that one of Canada's top politicians flew here to the US to get heart surgery about a decade ago.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
One of my clients owns a Canadian company, says the wait times and care are garbage. He basically says, don't get real sick. I find it interesting that one of Canada's top politicians flew here to the US to get heart surgery about a decade ago.
Oh there's no doubt that we have the best care on the globe . . . if you can afford it.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As do MANY

Latest posts

Top Bottom