22 Magnum Expected Accuracy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a nice, seems to be well-built 22 magnum rifle. Mitchell Arms is the maker, I put a decent Nikon 3-7 on it. My groups are about 2-2 1/2 MOA at 90 yds. I expected better - thinking of bedding action, but don't know how much effect that'll have on a rimfire. Any ideas?

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found most 22 magnum rifle to be real ammo sensitive, with the Winchester offering giving the worst performance across that board. CGI seems better as does Hornady , but it will depend on what your rifle likes 1-1/2" groups are around average at 100

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found the ammo makes a big difference - the Win actually groups a little better for mine. CCI groups 2" higher than either Winchester ammo I tried. Haven't tried Hornady yet.

Chard

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The cheaper ammo does not do well in my rifle (CZ455). When I buy the pricey stuff groups really shrink. Winchester Supreme does exceptionally well.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a stainless Marlin that would shoot 5/8" 5 shot groups at 100 yards off the bench with preferred fodder and 1 3/4" with the stuff it didn't particularly like. That was a tube mag gun that wasn't free floated either.

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, I ment to say Winchester DYNAPOINT ammo was the worst group wizened in all my 22 Magnus firearms. I didn't mean to imply all Winchester ammo was inaccurate.

Latest posts

Top Bottom