.223 suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Recently acquired a Rem R15, and have killed lots of paper, and a couple of dillers with it. So far so good.
I took it deer hunting the other day, shot a doe at 65 yds with a factory Rem .55 gr PSP. It was right at the last legal moment to shoot, with darkness coming on, and she ran. I could tell it was a good hit, as she kicked up her back legs, kept her tail down, and ran, not bounded away. I got down, went to the point of the shot, and found no hair, no blood. Knowing the way she ran, and that a creek crossing was just ahead, I went there, and found the blood trail that a blind man could have followed. On the other side of a double oxbow she was laying there dead.
Upon field dressing there was an entry wound with a broken rib a golf ball could have been dropped into. 1/4 of the top heart was gone, and no exit wound.
I looked the bullet up on the Rem website, and they said it was solidly constructed, and so on. Looked like a varmint round to me.
State reg says I must use a .55 gr bullet or larger, and my Nikon Coyote scope is calibrated to shoot that round.

For those that have taken a deer and had a good/bad experience with a particular bullet, I'd like to know. I'm getting ready to reload the .223 and need some solid info.
Yes, the bullet killed the deer, but I like a complete pass thru.

aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v252_dennishoddy_Photo0042.jpg

CoyoteKid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .22 caliber bullet is not designed for deer. It is for 3 inch thick varmints and for fur bearing animals. Although it works great on deer. I have killed 250 lb Mule Deer with a 52 grain hollow point. I think you like the idea of a pass through cause you have been used to the .25 or bigger calibers.... But to your original question I don't know of any bullet that will shoot out of your R-15 that can be larger then 55 grain and still stabilize. So just keep shooting 55 grain bullets and I guarantee you wont loose a deer if you always hit the chest. If you are only going to shoot does with the .223 then why not utilize the accuracy and close range with a head shot!!!

abinok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a look at the barnes tsx bullets. Silver state armory loads them factory, as well as corbon...

I have seen the 45gr completly pass through a 250lb deer, and the 70gr pass through on an elk shot from a 22-250.

THE JOKER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Nosler has a thicker jacket than most others and even the ballistic tips are better than most off shelf ammo.The Barnes bullets I have retrieved from the range had perfect expansion and retention.I would expect them to pass through and leave a good blood trail,but they ain't cheap.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
The .22 caliber bullet is not designed for deer. It is for 3 inch thick varmints and for fur bearing animals. Although it works great on deer. I have killed 250 lb Mule Deer with a 52 grain hollow point. I think you like the idea of a pass through cause you have been used to the .25 or bigger calibers.... But to your original question I don't know of any bullet that will shoot out of your R-15 that can be larger then 55 grain and still stabilize. So just keep shooting 55 grain bullets and I guarantee you wont loose a deer if you always hit the chest. If you are only going to shoot does with the .223 then why not utilize the accuracy and close range with a head shot!!!

Is your location Hot Springs, AR? If so, be careful giving advice across state lines about this stuff, as hunting regulations vary state to state. As the original poster mentioned, and what I understand, is that in OK, the minimum bullet weight usable with a .22 caliber rifle when hunting deer is 55gr, so the bullet you recommended would be illegal here.

Second, very few AR type rifles I've heard of have a twist rate slower than 1 in 9, which will stabilize bullets larger than 55 gr. It's the slower twist rates common in bolt action rifles that won't stabilize larger than 55 gr.

CoyoteKid

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im actually from South Dakota and i joined this forum cause it has lots of interesting topics. Im not suggesting a 52 grain bullet im just stating that in .22 calibers the bullet isnt designed for deer sized game. I have used 52 grain bullets on deer larger than most whitetail does. The bullets penetrate the deers side and by the time it is in the chest it has exploded into tiny pieces causing varmint like damage to deer sized internals. I just think dennishoddy is expecting a little much when he asks for an exit wound. Thats all im saying and if i sound rude im not trying to be

Spooln-Rex

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If im gonna be hunting deer with my ar it'll be with at least a 69+ gr bullet but thats just my opinion. Something like a federal premium with the sierra hollow point would do nicely but those bullet weights really require a 1:7 twist but some 1:9's will do fine and some wont just have to try it out at the range first.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Im actually from South Dakota and i joined this forum cause it has lots of interesting topics. Im not suggesting a 52 grain bullet im just stating that in .22 calibers the bullet isnt designed for deer sized game. I have used 52 grain bullets on deer larger than most whitetail does. The bullets penetrate the deers side and by the time it is in the chest it has exploded into tiny pieces causing varmint like damage to deer sized internals. I just think dennishoddy is expecting a little much when he asks for an exit wound. Thats all im saying and if i sound rude im not trying to be

I didn't think you were being rude, I just wanted to make it clear that what you were saying worked for you may not be legal here.

Randall

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Winchester makes or did make a 64 gr grain bullet designed for deer hunting.I have never shot one with it but a few people who have says it worked well for a .22.

Latest posts

Top Bottom