.22lr @ Academy? What gives?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And if you ever happen to go early yourself, watch carefully how many of the purchasers are tax exempt. Not retirees or crazies, but employees of other stores, pawn shops, etc. using Academy/WM/etc. as their wholesaler. And then there was the one I talked with who wasn't buying tax exempt but said he had a standing deal with a local pawn shop to pay him twice whatever he bought it for. Not a bad business strategy I guess - buying up all the supply in a local area then selling at inflated prices.

Last edited:

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK this may seem like a stupid question, but here goes. Why are people flipping out and hoarding .22 ammo? I get that its scarce, and its the most common caliber. But to stockpile to the point where you buy all that a store has just so someone else cant get any? I dont get it.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
OK this may seem like a stupid question, but here goes. Why are people flipping out and hoarding .22 ammo? I get that its scarce, and its the most common caliber. But to stockpile to the point where you buy all that a store has just so someone else cant get any? I dont get it.

So you're thinking their motivation in stockpiling it is to actively PREVENT someone else from getting any?

Hmmm... that is what you said, I'm just not sure that's what you meant.

I think the mentality is easy to discern.

#1. They want to stock up for themselves for if/when it isn't available readily anymore.
#2. They are buying cheap to sell high.

Why would you think someone is stocking up "just so someone else can't get any"?

Seems to me more of a "look out for yourself" mentality. And I agree. I've got over 5k rounds and I'll buy more if I see it lying around. Don't think I'm gonna call up all of my buddies and ask them if it's ok if I buy it beforehand, and then come post on OSA and make sure everyone on here is ok with me purchasing ammo for my own private stock, or make sure everyone in line behind me has enough before I buy my limit or however much I can afford or desire.

Call me greedy... but me and mine are my responsibility first, not you and yours.

24T_missilejock

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So you're thinking their motivation in stockpiling it is to actively PREVENT someone else from getting any?

Hmmm... that is what you said, I'm just not sure that's what you meant.

I think the mentality is easy to discern.

#1. They want to stock up for themselves for if/when it isn't available readily anymore.
#2. They are buying cheap to sell high.

Why would you think someone is stocking up "just so someone else can't get any"?

Seems to me more of a "look out for yourself" mentality. And I agree. I've got over 5k rounds and I'll buy more if I see it lying around. Don't think I'm gonna call up all of my buddies and ask them if it's ok if I buy it beforehand, and then come post on OSA and make sure everyone on here is ok with me purchasing ammo for my own private stock, or make sure everyone in line behind me has enough before I buy my limit or however much I can afford or desire.

Call me greedy... but me and mine are my responsibility first, not you and yours.

My post did come across a little whiney. I should have chosen my words a little better. I went to Dicks to get a couple of bricks to take my kids plinking. I showed up a little after 9:00 PM and the clerk told me it sold out in less than 30 minutes. He said people were literally running to the back of the store and bumrushed the counter. I just dont understand the panic.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My post did come across a little whiney. I should have chosen my words a little better. I went to Dicks to get a couple of bricks to take my kids plinking. I showed up a little after 9:00 PM and the clerk told me it sold out in less than 30 minutes. He said people were literally running to the back of the store and bumrushed the counter. I just dont understand the panic.

Short supply, high demand.

You wanted it too, right? Then you're part of the demand... you just don't demand as badly as some others.

If I make it up your way anytime soon, I'd be happy to toss a brick your way for the kids - no charge, no payment accepted.

initseven

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I must have been in line after you. I heard the clerk say the same thing. He also said they had 18 cases, 10 bricks per case.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I picked some up at Tinker's BX today for 7 bucks per 100. If you can get on base that's a decent price.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was in academy last week I seen zero .22lr. I have a friend still offering me $35 for a brick of 550. I'm not straving or broke so i'd like to hold onto my small stash.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And if you ever happen to go early yourself, watch carefully how many of the purchasers are tax exempt. Not retirees or crazies, but employees of other stores, pawn shops, etc. using Academy/WM/etc. as their wholesaler. And then there was the one I talked with who wasn't buying tax exempt but said he had a standing deal with a local pawn shop to pay him twice whatever he bought it for. Not a bad business strategy I guess - buying up all the supply in a local area then selling at inflated prices.

This is going to continue as long as .22LR is SELLING at ridiculous prices like .27, .31, .36 and .40 PER ROUND like it is right now. That's .223/5.56 prices before the scare, the last case of PMC that I bought was $279 on sale. Dumbasses! That's what's up with .22LR.

Latest posts

Top Bottom