22LR Ammo Range Report - Winchester 555 round bulk pack *FAIL*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had some issues with that and another brand..
I found my issue...I had used frog lube and it was cold outside...that stuff does not get used on my guns anymore.

I did what i hate to do.. I sprayed my gun and parts clean with wd40 and blew them off with compressed air from a small compressor we had on hand..Then wiped all parts down with bounty paper towels.

No issues after that.

So maybe it was colder than normal and your lube did not care for it...Maybe not..maybe a bad batch.

Pull some bullets and weigh the powder charge.. see how consistent it is.
I done that on some recent 30-06 ammo.. not good.
That explains the 250 fps spreads.

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a 10/22 off of flatwins a few years ago. I met him at Academy then went inside and bought the 555 Winchester bulk pack. I got home and was pissed. Thought he sold me a piece of crap. Took it apart,cleaned it,same ****. By this time a friend had showed up to shoot at my house. Told him what was going on. He stuck his preloaded 10/22 mag in my rifle and ran great. So I thought it was the mag. Put the Winchester in his mag,same crap. We ran federal bulk,blazer,cci,and some others through the 2 guns without any problem. I haven't purchased Winchester since. I still have some of that pack in my shop. My daughter uses it in her Cricket and Heritage revolver. Funny how you forget about stuff until someone brings it up. If I was to find it at WM I would still buy it. It's better than nothing..... This kind of thinking is why the shelves are still bare.

gallk

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a 10/22 off of flatwins a few years ago. I met him at Academy then went inside and bought the 555 Winchester bulk pack. I got home and was pissed. Thought he sold me a piece of crap. Took it apart,cleaned it,same ****. By this time a friend had showed up to shoot at my house. Told him what was going on. He stuck his preloaded 10/22 mag in my rifle and ran great. So I thought it was the mag. Put the Winchester in his mag,same crap. We ran federal bulk,blazer,cci,and some others through the 2 guns without any problem. I haven't purchased Winchester since. I still have some of that pack in my shop. My daughter uses it in her Cricket and Heritage revolver. Funny how you forget about stuff until someone brings it up. If I was to find it at WM I would still buy it. It's better than nothing..... This kind of thinking is why the shelves are still bare.

Thanks Dirty Dave. Good to know I'm not crazy. It's hard to remember what brands your guns don't like until it's too late. I'm gonna have to start writing this stuff down. If I see this ammo on the shelf again I'm gonna pass. I'm glad it's work for some people but not for me.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wonder if QC has taken a dive because of the shortage, and the manufacturers rushing to keep up? Winchester .22 has been my favorite since the 80s; I've never had a problem with it.

pb2624

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only Winchester 22 ammo problem I had was with a Beretta Neo, turned out it was very picky on what you feed it so it was released from the family.

n423

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can't ever remember what ammo works in what gun either. Need to write it down.

I usually buy whatever I find because of the damn 22 shortage. You can always sell it. CCI has always worked in all my guns. Just can't ever find it.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wouldnt have any problem with it in my single shot stevens. My glenfield model 60 has the same ammo in the mag that my grandpa loaded into it while he was still alive.

Latest posts

Top Bottom