?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powerman620

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As stated before, book money is now $49 used to be $69.also state has cut schools budget around 20% in last 10 years. Never know what cuts are going to be when trying to set budget for the next year, tough business to be in.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where were my numbers wrong? IF they were then post up the actual numbers. Total dollar amount increased because of the strike, total going to salaries and bennies for teachers and support staff and total going to the classroom. Then post of up the percentages. Pretty cut and dry: three numbers is all I need. Yours and several others on here have posted numerous times that the reason for the strike was for more money for the classroom. Well, lets see it.

I will support teachers 100% of the time when they go on strike and they strike for a specific reason. Don't tell me it's for the kids and then we find out 85% of the captured money is going to salaries. You want to strike for more pay then be honest about it. You are paid the lowest in the nation and want more money from me in the form of taxes you got my support but do lie about it.

Why are you missing that they passed that bill BEFORE.... again... it was passed BEFORE the walkout. Psssst..... BEFORE. The walkout was then continued because the funding wasn't close to the 200 million they needed for the classroom. This was plastered ALL over the news nearly 24/7. I don't know how else to say this.

http://www.newson6.com/story/37951490/timeline-of-oklahoma-teacher-walkout-2018

Here's a timeline. Took me 5 secs to find BTW.

Now the bulk of the funding was passed on March 29. A majority of this was the teacher funding, which you're beating your chest about for some reason. Stay with me...... THAT WAS BEFORE THE WALKOUT. Now this wasn't enough to come near the 200 million needed.

Now to simplify what happened in terms of legislature FOR the schools AFTER the walkout started was as follows.

April 2. Walkout.

April 3 Appropriations bill

April 4 Amazon tax bill passes house of representatives

April 6 Amazon tax bill and Ball and Dice bill pass senate. $5 hotel tax voted down. Teachers want capital gains tax exemption ended.

Amazon Bill (20million)

Ball and Dice Bill (~20million)

Hotel tax (50 million) <----didn't pass

Capital gains tax exemption ended (100 million) <----- didn't pass

Now, look how close that adds up to 200 million? Which is what I said they wanted for the schools? Psssst again... Teacher salary hike had already passed, got an amount of what they wanted for salaries, not nearly enough for school funding. They remained, and yes given the situation of the schools... gasp... it was for the kids. They got 40 million additional by remaining on the walkout. Wasn't enough, but whether you like it or not, that's why they remained and they stated so every day.

In a nutshell your whole theory is blown out of the water by the facts. Again this is common knowledge for people who live here and watched the whole thing play out.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who mentioned the 990. ROMA tracks the federal funds/state funds directly to gauge benefit.
If I had mentioned 990, I would have mentioned the 990.
How about this.
Your right about everything.
Ha
:blahblah:

He did. He just blurted it out, and we aren't sure why.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would really like to see you cite your claim.

School District Funding for a current school year is based on attendance as of 10-15-XX (This date may have been changes in the last ten years)

All Schools District receive the same amount of Funding based on student enrollment (Per Student) School district receive Extra Funds for Books, being a Title I School, Title 9 etc.

The top School District in Oklahoma (Edmond) Receives less funds per student that Lawton District. The Edmond District also pays their teachers above the State Minimum

Students in Edmond Schools have Textbooks to take home and Chrome Pads (8-12), Grade Schools use I-pad carts. https://edmondschools.net/news/2017/parents-invited-to-informational-night-on-digital-conversion/

It appears that the Lawton District has a big hole in their funding bucket. (From your posts)

If the Lawton Teachers cared about their students, then they need to show up at the Lawton school board meeting and demand spending reform.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If the Lawton Teachers cared about their students, then they need to show up at the Lawton school board meeting and demand spending reform.

...and not just Lawton. All these folks who got all hot and bothered by the State legislature probably need to look a little closer to home. Go to Ballotpedia and look at the results of school board elections across the state. Lots of races in 2017 were canceled because the incumbent was unopposed. Others had abysmally poor voter turnout: Last year's Tulsa public schools board election had a whopping 588 votes cast in the board election...in a district with the second highest enrollment in the state. The teachers from Tulsa who walked all that way to OKC could've spared some blisters and started locally.

Need textbooks for your district? Get a bond issue on the ballot and pay for them within your district instead of expecting everyone else in the state to buy them for you, or use the money allocated to your district by the state for general education funding and make damn sure your school board puts the money where it is supposed to go.

http://newsok.com/article/5589618/textbook-complaints-indict-local-ok-school-boards

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
School District Funding for a current school year is based on attendance as of 10-15-XX (This date may have been changes in the last ten years)

All Schools District receive the same amount of Funding based on student enrollment (Per Student) School district receive Extra Funds for Books, being a Title I School, Title 9 etc.

The top School District in Oklahoma (Edmond) Receives less funds per student that Lawton District. The Edmond District also pays their teachers above the State Minimum

Students in Edmond Schools have Textbooks to take home and Chrome Pads (8-12), Grade Schools use I-pad carts. https://edmondschools.net/news/2017/parents-invited-to-informational-night-on-digital-conversion/

It appears that the Lawton District has a big hole in their funding bucket. (From your posts)

You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Students Budget Per Student
Edmond 24,894 $163,256,697 $6,558.07
Lawton 14,034 $127,440,304 $9,077.59 Page B-2 C-1 & C-2
OKC Public 45,034 $333,629,387 $7,408.39
Putnam City 19,515 $142,542,015 $7,304.48

Lawton School District receives an extra $2,519.52 per student because of Title 1 & Etc. funding over the top school district in Oklahoma, Edmond. (Edmond knows how to manage money)

The Lawton School District does not have a clue on how to run a school district

https://edmondschools.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Budget-Guide-2017-2018.pdf
https://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/...ton_Public_Schools_Budget_FY2018_09212017.pdf

Uncle TK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why do you believe they do not know what they are doing?

Edmond 6-12 Schools, each student has a chrome book and textbooks, grade schools students use I-pad carts and their text scores are the best in the State.
Aprox.25% disadvantaged students compared to Lawton around 50% but Lawton receives enough extra money to over come the problem.

But look at the number 2 school in NYC with 100% Minority 73% disadvantaged 100% take AP classes and 89% pass.
Oklahoma Need To Revamp their Education System

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Do you assume our students do not have accesses to computer labs, or that we are not issuing chrome books to students?
Just tot let you know the Title 1 money can only be spent on certain students within a title 1 school. Title 1 money does not correct the issues poverty creates.
I know you have a reason for your direct attempts to attack Lawton Publics Schools, if you make that reason known it would be easier to understand your posts.

Latest posts

Top Bottom