.260 or .308 or .300 WinMag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

promiseofwar

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am hoping to get some insight from experienced shooters. I am looking at getting a bolt-action rifle (.260, .308, .300) for shooting further than 500 meters and perhaps deer hunting (not a primary use). Most usage will be shooting at steel targets out to 800 meters. I am hoping to stay below 1200.00. Thanks in advance.

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You can reach out to 800 with any one of those. The 260 will just be much softer on your shoulder than the 300 WM and if you reload, you won't give up anything to it ballistically.

If you don't reload, then the 308 is really your best option in terms of ammunition availability and cost.

7stw

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You can reach out to 800 with any one of those. The 260 will just be much softer on your shoulder than the 300 WM and if you reload, you won't give up anything to it ballistically.

If you don't reload, then the 308 is really your best option in terms of ammunition availability and cost.

This is solid advice. I concur. I do not have a .260 but I'm a long action guy myself. A 6.5-06 fills my needs and a .26 nosler is in the works as well. If you don't mind the recoil and reload the .300 win mag is my choice. But I like to shoot game at long distance <600 yds or so and the win mag has more retained energy when it gets there. You want to stay under. 1200 is that total ? Ie glass and rifle ? Or just the rifle ? A savage 10fp in .308 (can swap to a .260 easily) will get you there easily. They have a long range hunter model as well closer to 1k in price though. Remington makes some solid rifles in .308 as well. In .300 win mag a sendero is hard to beat. You can find good used ones in the 9-1k range new rifles put you about 12-15. There are a host of others out there that will work for your intended application. Just don't skimp on the glass or mounts ! You can't hit what you can't see. Nikon and bushnell make some budget minded options leupold zeiss kahles and nightforce make excellent scopes and if you have no budget get a Schmidt and bender or a march. Lol. I highly recommend your reticle and knobs match though either mil/mil or moa/moa good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from NSA wire tapped device.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sure moboost will be along shortly. I had a remington model 7 in .260 for a deer rifle and I liked it quite a bit. Any of those calibers will go that distance.

Latest posts

Top Bottom