.260 or .308 or .300 WinMag?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jedabug92

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All good choices but I stick with what I can get for reloading. If the military uses it then I know there will be a ton if brass out there, even if I have to buy it. The .308 is great because you can shoot it fir fun without it tearing up your shoulder, you can hunt basically anything around here, and it can reach out and hit at 1000 yards.

x3....

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I heard the barrel life on the .243 was something to consider, not as long lasting as the other calibers. YOMV

Barrels are a consumable item. I wouldn't get too hung up on barrel life because the average guy doesn't shoot enough in a lifetime to wear out a barrel. If you could afford to shoot enough ammo to wear out a barrel, you could probably afford to replace a barrel when it's time. Also, there are also a number of factors that can influence a barrels longevity.

A few years ago, I listened to a guy speak about long range precision shooting. I believe he shot a 7mm Remington Magnum. He would go to the range for a few hours each week and fire 1-2 rounds on a good day. He was definitely trying to maximize the life of his barrel. And that's totally fine if that's your cup of tea.

Sounds like a 308 Win is right up your alley. If you decide the long range precision shooting game is your thing, you can always convert your rifle to another caliber that shares the same 308 bolt face dimension.

Last edited:

ASP785

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
All good choices but I stick with what I can get for reloading. If the military uses it then I know there will be a ton if brass out there, even if I have to buy it.

The 260 Remington case can be formed from 308 cases relatively easily. So if brass availability is a concern and you reload, the 260 is still an option.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I LOVE the .260. Soft shooting, accurate, easy/economical reloading, can form brass from ANY of the .308 family.

.308 is good choice, if not a reloader, because of military surplus ammo. .30-06 is an equivalent choice.

7mm Rem Mag and .300 Win Mag cost more, even when reloading and recoil can become a problem.

I own 7mmRM and .30-06, shoot both very little compared to my others. JMHO, like everyone here, it's MY preference and YOU will have to decide yours.

Cedar Creek

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Re: .260 - I think it will be a great long-range target round. On deer hunting - I have a Ruger 77 6.5 Rem Mag and my buddy has a Remington Model 7 .260 - we have both shot quite a few deer with different rifles and a few with the 6.5 & .260 and both of us felt like the jacket on factory rounds and the handloads we have used are too light for deer-sized animals. I loaded some 6.5 Rem Mag ammo with Nosler Partitions which I think will solve the problem, but haven't shot a deer with it yet. (Been using the .308.) Downside of the partitions, for me, is that I have never been pleased with the accuracy I get with them compared to other bullets. Just my experience.

Cedar Creek

tulsanewb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I say for your purposes .260/6.5CM are the way to go. I have a .308 but was wanting something different for longer range and ended up ordering a 6.5CM JP LRP that I'm waiting (impatiently) for. The 6.5CM match rounds are usually a bit cheaper than the .308 match rounds online as a benefit.

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If someone asks "the question" - the answer is always 308.

Put some "miles" on 308 - the real answer for your application will come on its own.

P.S. There is no free lunch - shooting is all about a series of compromises, and 308 is a very good starting point, aka jack of all trades and master of none.

A5Sooner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I got a tikka t3 lite in 7 mag and like it a lot. It can confidently take almost all big game, recoil isn't bad. It can reach out there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom