3 different subsonic loads vs. sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So to rehash a few things, first rounds I tried out of my Osprey were Winchester white box 147s and Speer Lawman 147s which are supposed to be subsonic. I was not impressed with the suppressor and frankly disappointed until I tried some PPU 158s. THOSE were the cats meow and very quiet. Next outing I shot both without the suppressor (through a 4.5" MPX) and you could tell a big difference between them, so I assumed the Winchesters and Speer were going supersonic and the PPU 158s were staying subsonic.

Range day today, we chrono graphed 3 different loads. 3 shots each, and all were subsonic although the Winchesters just barely. I used up the Speer stuff so no chronographs, but they sounded just like the Winchesters.

The 147 reloads and 158 subs weren't audibly different so I guess even when shooting subs there are differences in sound. That may be a no brainer to many, but I'm still learning this suppressor/subsonic thing and figured I'd put it out there. I think I'll pass on any Winchester and Speer 147s in the future for suppressor use. They sounded more like 115gr stuff than they did the 147 reloads and PPU 158s.

Data through a P226 (4.4" barrel)
147gr reloads (quiet)- 834, 864, 873
147gr Winchester White Box (loud)- 1053, 1057, 1008
158 PPU Subsonic Line (quiet)- 922, 927, 917

KurtM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The speed of sound varies a little day by day due to humidity temperature and elevation, although in our case elevation is going to be fairly constant. I will say this, at this elevation 1050 is damn near on the line if not a little past the sound barrier. I use a rough figure of 1035 fps for subsonic here at almost all temps and humidity.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, variables for sure. I shot the Winchester 147s in Tulsa this summer, Texas last month, Nebraska a few weeks ago and today again in Tulsa and they were all louder than expected. I am assuming by the chronograph they're ragged edge but should still be subsonic but I guess not. I'm only basing that off of the numbers and they're still about100fps under "standard" supersonic barrier of 1125.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Get some Freedom Munitions Hush ammo. It’s 165 grain and made for shooting suppressed. I couldn’t believe how good it was. I just got some so they may still have stock. It’s not cheap though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom