"Suppressor" ammo vs subsonic

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see stuff specifically marked suppressor ammo and others that are just mark subsonic. Does the stuff that is marked suppressor actually do anything different than a regular subsonic or is it all just marketing jargon?
Shoot cleaner maybe? Have special loads developed to be extra quiet? Just an extra word printed on the box to sell more?

Stopped by Cabela's in Western Nebraska yesterday and there were a few options of subsonic Blackout. Oddly enough the Winchester Suppressed Subsonic was by far the cheapest.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have no idea but having just picked up my first suppressor (22LR-22Mag) and I’ve been playing with various ammunition. CCI is subsonic, accurate as all get-out in my Savage but a little louder then I’d like. I made a bullet catcher out of a 14” Square cardboard box packed with rubber mulch that does the trick. Tried CCI Quiet but accuracy suffered....actually it outright stunk. I’ll be interested to read how this thread goes. 👍🏻

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So according to the Winchester website the blackout at least is TMJ instead of FMJ so the base is covered and is supposed to help with fouling of the suppressor.

@Firpo what kind of CCI did you like? I've been happy with sound and accuracy of the CCI SV but it's not FMJ so it's probably pretty dirty in the can.

Firpo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ya know, I’m still a newbie at all this. Right now I’m just using CCI SV ammo. Haven’t put a complete box of ammo through it yet and when I do I’ll be taking it apart to see just what’s what. The guy at the LGS said that because it was stainless I could probably go close to 200 rounds between cleanings but he may be full of beans. I’ll let you know what I find in a few days and take it apart. I’ll also be sure to take some pics so we can all have a look.

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes and no. Are you loading for yourself? I do agree with @Firpo the CCI subs are the best in 22lr

edit: the CCI 40 gr hp are the best I have found out of my lil takedown.

Last edited:

nic6

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've shot standard velocity sub sonic CCI ammo and Gemtech Silencer Subsonic ammo with both the same accuracy results. I would not pay for any premium over the CCI Standard Velocity ammo.
Are you using a bolt or semi? What length of barrel? I really don't mean this as jerk question

Latest posts

Top Bottom