30-30 Ammo For Whitetail

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gonna bust out the 30-30 this weekend and wanted to know what ammo you all suggest. I have LeverEvolution and Winchester 150gr soft-points... I'm leaning towards the soft-points since I'll be shooting no further than 100 yards.

You think this is the right choice? I know the LeverEvolution rounds can really reach out and touch something farther away but I heard they don't open up the best at closer range but that may not be true... What do you all think?

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Accuracy is the most important for either bullet. Either one placed properly will do the job. Like you said the leverevolution is more likely to have more accuracy at longer range. A 30 30 was my first center fire rifle and I shot it often and hunted with it every season I could. (Deer/Coyote) As I was a young teenager I had a adult friend that reloaded and he loaded it with 150 grain speer bullet. It did the job on several deer before I purchased a .30-06.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, both are really accurate for me. I'm just really looking for the one that does the most damage. I'm sure either will work.

Here's my trusty steed that'll be dealing the damage. I'm just hunting for does on Saturday and the spot I'm hunting is a field the deer enter first thing in the morning... I really think my hunt will be over by 8:30. Based on the activity I've seen from that stand every morning I've hunted it.

afarm4.static.flickr.com_3172_3020269491_c950b0f3da_b.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very nice Stainless Marlin. Flip a coin, I don't think there will be much difference in the terminal performance of the two. The leverevolution is touted at having a little higher velocity, I believe.

MaddSkillz

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah, it definitely has higher velocity... I was just reading on the MarlinOwners forum and they seem to like the Winchester power points. It sounds like either one will work for me.

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i am shooting 170 grain remington corelokts(sp?) in my marlin 336, and they seem to do the job just fine. i have only shot one deer with it, but that deer dropped where it stood about 65 yards out. this season will only be the second season i am gonna carry it, and i am only carrying it cause i am gonna do a lot of walking saturday and sunday and i dont want to lug my big 30-06 around the woods for the weekend. but when i get back in the woods monday mornin i will be totin the 06.

the_law_man01

New to the site!
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

This is my first reply/post.

I have a Marlin 30AW .30-30. My grandpa had a rifle just like it, and, since I killed my first deer with his, I wanted one.

To be honest, if it were me and the soft points were accurate, I would use them if its no longer than 100 yards. $0.80 is a lot better than $1.50 or $2.00 for a doe. Any further than that and/or for a buck and it's LEVERevolution all the way.

I keep plenty of Remington Core-Lokt 170gr SP on hand for whatever presents itself.

I live in Southern Kansas now on prairie/timber so a 200-250 yard shot is not uncommon. That is what the LEVERevolutions are used for.

Hunt smart, hunt hard
Joe

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey fellas,

This is my first reply/post.

I have a Marlin 30AW .30-30. My grandpa had a rifle just like it, and, since I killed my first deer with his, I wanted one.

To be honest, if it were me and the soft points were accurate, I would use them if its no longer than 100 yards. $0.80 is a lot better than $1.50 or $2.00 for a doe. Any further than that and/or for a buck and it's LEVERevolution all the way.

I keep plenty of Remington Core-Lokt 170gr SP on hand for whatever presents itself.

I live in Southern Kansas now on prairie/timber so a 200-250 yard shot is not uncommon. That is what the LEVERevolutions are used for.

Hunt smart, hunt hard
Joe

First of all, welcome to the forum!

All things considered, any of those bullets in the boiler room will result in a bad day for any deer you shoot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom