If you could do it over again…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Long story short. I need to finally get into reloading. Joined the okcgc and will be building or acquiring a rifle at some point to reach out to 1k. A coworker is doing the same. Looking at single stage presses, and all the other associated gear and based on what you know after taking all the missteps.. What reloading gear would you buy if you could do it all over again? Basically looking to load low volume and highly consistent ammo and have zero gear to start with. Scales, powder measures, presses get a little overwhelming to look at.

Looking at 308 and what ever 6 mm I decide to buy. No interest in loading my high volume rounds. I’ll add a Dillon when/if I ever go that route..

Last edited:

ark-and-spark

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A Dillon 550 is what I started with. It is manual indexing, it’s like a 4 station single stage. I can do quantity and quality at once. I have almost all Dillon dies, scales, case gauges ect. Dillon is worth the money spent.

Rcbs is great equipment as well. I only have a couple of there dies but they have sent me countless decapping pins and parts free of charge under warranty.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I would get a kit with some accessories like scale, powder measure, etc. Lee is good enough to get you started for not a lot of money, but RCBS, Lyman, Hornady are once in a lifetime purchases. Even if you plan to get a progressive later, there will be times you'll use a single stage. I don't have any experience with Dillon, everything I've heard about it is good but I think it tends to be a little more expensive. I could be wrong, I would love to have some Dillon stuff. I really don't shoot enough to need a progressive press though.

An RCBS, Lyman, or Hornady kit will get you good quality stuff for less money than buying everything individually.

What I usually tell people is Lee stuff will last you a lifetime, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady will last you five lifetimes.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lee classic cast iron press.
You can do 50 BMG with it.
I love the primer system on it and how the primers fall through the middle of the huge ram when depriming.
This keeps carbon from getting all over the outside of the ram from dirty primer pocket dust.

Lyman VLD chamfer tool RCBS 505 scale.
Neck turner K+M or RCBS.
Propane torch for annealing.
I get perfect results with the Lee neck trimmers and Lee case length gauge and parts that go with that Lee trimmer stuff.

Learn to use the tools you have with the utmost precision.
Sizing die wax not spray on stuff.
Great measuring tools.

Stiff action and stiff barrel to go with it and find that sweet load.
Learn to read the wind.

You can read some internet stuff labeled What the Pros use.

It will get some ideas in your head.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
RCBS Rockchucker supreme loading kit and don't look back.
For top end accuracy use redding loading dies.
Minimum 2 hard copy load manuals.
good measuring tools.
Forget the case gages use your firearm as a gage.
Best advice. Solid kit.
Always use the plunk test on the reloads. If it drops into the chamber with a "plunk" sound, it's going to chamber and fire. When starting in competition shooting, I learned this from @KurtM.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got into reloading back in the mid 80's with a RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit and would do it again if I was just starting out.....I never have upgraded to a progressive press and have reloaded thousands of rounds on my single stage Rock Chucker.

The kit has pretty much everything you need to start cranking out your own ammo minus a powder measure stand, tumbler and media, calipers, dies, shell holder, powder, brass, bullets and primers.....some do and some don't but I like Hornady One Shot spray lube and have been using it for years.

https://www.rcbs.com/rcbs-kits/rock-chucker-supreme-master-reloading-kit/16-9366.html
https://www.natchezss.com/rc-supreme-master-reloading-kit-rc9366
rcbsrcs.jpg

Last edited:

red dirt shootist

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd probably go with Redding, maybe the turret press, and get a powder measure with a micrometer, a good hand priming tool, for that I like RCBS. Get the Lee manual. And one other thing, a case trimmer, I like Forrester, and get it set up to trim, and turn your necks, and get your primer pockets and flash holes consistent. Your rifle will pretty much need to be a one hole gun at a 100 yds to do anything at a 1000. Good Luck.

Latest posts

Top Bottom