300 blackout............good, bad or indifferent??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am more of a "performance" kinda shooter. I am underwhelmed by a "rifle cartridge" at subsonic velocities for the sake of lowering the report. A buddy and I have goofed around in some remote areas, shooting suppressed firearms with standard ammo. You can hear the 'crack' but you cannot definitively pinpoint the direction from whence it came. Not without a handful of shots to "triangulate". The gent(s) that offer the 6.8 SPC as a utilitarian alternative have my vote. I built a 6.8 AR with a cheapo Numrich Arms .277 blank. The thing is powerful hog and whitetail medicine. About seven years ago, an acquaintance shot a medium sized cow Elk in Southern Colorado with his 6.8. She was DRT at just under 250 yards. I would not advocate that one make a habit of using a 6.8 SPC on that sized game, but I would call it a "plus" to know the little engine COULD. The mag and bolt difference is a plus to me. Keeps things ordered and properly dedicated. My wife says I am some kind of retentive something due to that penchant. heh

My $0.02

You do realize there is far more to the 300 BLK than subsonic, right? Factory loadings with 90, 110, 120, 125, 147, 150, 208, and 220 grain offerings. The 6.8 does have a decent presence but you are pretty much limited to 90-120gr bullets. Even the 220g in a BLK is capable of ~1250fps. Many loads are very comparable to 7.62x39 loads. Pricewise, the 6.8 and 300 are about the same to shoot. I'm not knocking the 6.8, but I don't think it is heads and shoulders above the 300BLK although I will concede that it has about 7-10% more velocity and the BC should help it on longer range shots.

Owlcreekok

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Very true. I am very impressed with that part about the .300. MANY different bullets to choose from. Still, for me, a 200 grain bullet that is running 1200-1300 is best directed with my 8" M629 .44. I am using H322 under 120 grain Hornady bullets in the 6.8. Average velocity is just South of 2600 fps. I also have a 130 grain load that most onlookers and NO loading recipe books will consider "prudent". It is a cast bullet and so far, has not gobbed up the action with too much smoogy. lol Not really got it running fast enough to be worth much (to me). Just under 2000 thus far. That is with it being accurate enough to use for anything besides a noisemaker. heh heh. Over 2000-2200 I am flashing gas past the bullet in the barrel. That does not work toward accuracy. :anyone:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not harshing the buzz of anybody, and don't want to cause an issue, but just some thoughts from me. Feel free to disagree. The .300 blackout is perfect for suppression.
I've been into rifle shooting, mainly hunting, and recently competitions, but I'm constantly amazed at all of the different calibers out there that duplicate the same ballistics as the venerable 30-06. I know its not in vogue now, one must shoot a 5. something, 6.something, or 7.something to be with the cool kids. The gun/bullet manufacturers love you.
People rave about the 6.5 something hitting 2500fps with a 120 grain. Others rave their 7. something will hit 3000fps with a 140 grain. etc.
The 06 will do the same with a 165 grain, with more kenetic energy at the end depending on the bullet design. Close to 3500 fps with a 120 grain.
I guess my point is that bullets have evolved with higher BC's and fly better than bullets just a few years ago. I'm amazed at the accuracy of guns off the shelf now vs 20 years ago.
Yeah, I've got the 5.somethings, and the 6.somethings, but when I'm looking at an elk 500 yds away, that 06 is the go-to.
Flame suit on. Hammer away. lol.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm not harshing the buzz of anybody, and don't want to cause an issue, but just some thoughts from me. Feel free to disagree. The .300 blackout is perfect for suppression.
I've been into rifle shooting, mainly hunting, and recently competitions, but I'm constantly amazed at all of the different calibers out there that duplicate the same ballistics as the venerable 30-06. I know its not in vogue now, one must shoot a 5. something, 6.something, or 7.something to be with the cool kids. The gun/bullet manufacturers love you.
People rave about the 6.5 something hitting 2500fps with a 120 grain. Others rave their 7. something will hit 3000fps with a 140 grain. etc.
The 06 will do the same with a 165 grain, with more kenetic energy at the end depending on the bullet design. Close to 3500 fps with a 120 grain.
I guess my point is that bullets have evolved with higher BC's and fly better than bullets just a few years ago. I'm amazed at the accuracy of guns off the shelf now vs 20 years ago.
Yeah, I've got the 5.somethings, and the 6.somethings, but when I'm looking at an elk 500 yds away, that 06 is the go-to.
Flame suit on. Hammer away. lol.
If only there were a 30-06 in the AR platform. Because there isn't, I'm guessing 6.5 Creedmoor is the way to go. :wink2:

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
If only there were a 30-06 in the AR platform. Because there isn't, I'm guessing 6.5 Creedmoor is the way to go. :wink2:

Noreen makes a 30-06, .270, and 25-06 AR. Seen them at several gun shops around during the last year or longer. Never pulled the trigger on one or know anyone who's fired one. Less than $2k iirc.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For me it filled a void. I have a 243, 30-06, 300WM with several others and it fit what I needed which was something that I could shoot dillers or coyotes up to pigs or deer without feeling undergunned at 200 yards and not spending $1.50 per shot. Plus have 20 or 30 rounds in the gun and easier to grab and go and not have all the drama of a 06 or WM. To each his own and thats why we have choices. It just depends on what you want it to do and what you like.

Latest posts

Top Bottom