300 Blackout Upper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For those of you who do your own AR builds, I'm curious which online vendors you guys use for your barreled upper assemblies. So far, I have purchased two upper assemblies from MAS Defense (2x 5.56 NATO uppers), and one 300 Blackout upper from Bear Creek Arsenal.

For the 300 Blackout build that I am working on right now, I'd really like to buy an upper from somewhere I haven't shopped before — since I am kind of new to building AR's, I don't want to get stuck into buying the same parts from the same vendors and just assuming that I am getting the best "bang" for my buck (although I am extremely happy with my 3x AR-15 builds so far). I feel like I need to expand my horizons a bit.

If you wouldn't mind, please let me know where you shop for your uppers assemblies? To be more specific, I'm looking for:
  • 16" barrel, stainless steel - pistol-length OR carbine-length gas (doesn't matter on this build), 1:7 or 1:8 twist, fluted (fluting is optional)
  • a decent 15" hand guard, preferably MLok
My budget for the upper is $350 - $475-ish.

Huge bonus if you know where I can get all of this WITH a fluted barrel. They are kind of hard to come by in 300 Blackout, but I know they're out there.

Thanks, guys. I owe you a favor if you help me out!

Last edited:

NightShade

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Built my own out. Barrel was 100 for an anderson carbine length, upper receiver was 40 and parts kit was like 15 added on. Did a Seekins adjustable gas block which was 51 and the gas tube was 13 Handguard was a cheapo but to get another I would probably go through 223 handguard but figure 40. Picked up a YHM compensator setup for their 308 can which was 70. BCG was out of my 5.56 but there is a complete NiB coated one available for 100 and charging handle is a BCM large latch 50.

Total cost: about 479 plus some shipping here and there.

Going with a cheapo flash hider and standard gas block would drop it down to closer to 375 or so lower if you wait for some sales etc. Could also use a standard charging handle.

20161112_173406-jpg.62270

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a complete upper with BCG and charge handle from SAA as the tulsa gun show last year. Shoots really well but it was over gassed from the get go on supers. A $30 adj gas block had it shooting under 1" after I finally figured it out. I paid $285+tax.

How do you like that Bear Creek? Im thinking about buying one of their blackout barrels.

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I bought a complete upper with BCG and charge handle from SAA as the tulsa gun show last year. Shoots really well but it was over gassed from the get go on supers. A $30 adj gas block had it shooting under 1" after I finally figured it out. I paid $285+tax.

How do you like that Bear Creek? Im thinking about buying one of their blackout barrels.

I'm glad you asked. I LOVE my 300 Blackout upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. I was doing research for my first AR build, and I noticed that they had a 300 Blackout upper and it included the BCG and charging handle. I got mine in November of last year. The entire upper, BCG, and charging handle was $305 out the door. I just couldn't pass it up. It was a Black Friday deal. It is very accurate, although I've only taken it out to 50 yards, which isn't much. I posted pics of my finished 300 Blackout from BCA on their website. I've only put about 250 rounds through it because ammo for it is pricy, and I haven't been able to scrape up enough money to buy a decent reloading kit and learn how to do that. I really want to take it to Happy Hallow and see how it does at 200 yards.

Are you thinking about getting a complete upper, or just one of their barrels?

These pics are kind of dated....I put a new competition compensator on it, and like it much better than the crap flash hider that it came with. I have purchased several things from BCA. They have good customer service.

Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 11.12.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 11.13.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-02-06 at 11.13.43 PM.png

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm glad you asked. I LOVE my 300 Blackout upper from Bear Creek Arsenal. I was doing research for my first AR build, and I noticed that they had a 300 Blackout upper and it included the BCG and charging handle. I got mine in November of last year. The entire upper, BCG, and charging handle was $305 out the door. I just couldn't pass it up. It was a Black Friday deal. It is very accurate, although I've only taken it out to 50 yards, which isn't much. I posted pics of my finished 300 Blackout from BCA on their website. I've only put about 250 rounds through it because ammo for it is pricy, and I haven't been able to scrape up enough money to buy a decent reloading kit and learn how to do that. I really want to take it to Happy Hallow and see how it does at 200 yards.

Are you thinking about getting a complete upper, or just one of their barrels?

These pics are kind of dated....I put a new competition compensator on it, and like it much better than the crap flash hider that it came with. I have purchased several things from BCA. They have good customer service.

View attachment 96516 View attachment 96517 View attachment 96518

Glad you're happy with it. Id be interested in what it does with supers at 100yd +.

Im just going to buy a barrel probably. Im buying one piece at a time being short on money and all. Going to try one of their 10.5" barrels probably.

Dirty Dave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 of the KM tactical .300blk uppers. A 16" and a 10.5". Both pistol gas. I completely love them. They were cutting some great deals at the Big Gun Show in November. I dont know if they are coming back in the spring but it may be worth the wait. I paid $275 cash out the door for the 16" with 15" keymod and BCG. Then he sold me the 10.5" with no BCG for $175 and through in some cheap BUIS. I felt like that was a good deal. Ive ran about 250rds through each without a single issue. They are not stainless tho...

tulsacrittergetter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have 2 of the KM tactical .300blk uppers. A 16" and a 10.5". Both pistol gas. I completely love them. They were cutting some great deals at the Big Gun Show in November. I dont know if they are coming back in the spring but it may be worth the wait. I paid $275 cash out the door for the 16" with 15" keymod and BCG. Then he sold me the 10.5" with no BCG for $175 and through in some cheap BUIS. I felt like that was a good deal. Ive ran about 250rds through each without a single issue. They are not stainless tho...

Dirty Dave, what is the twist rate on your 16" 300 Blackout?

Latest posts

Top Bottom