Why does nobody make an AR platform bolt action upper?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know it's not as popular as an AR but with the seeming Renaissance of bolt actions and more and more getting back into them, seems someone would make a somewhat basic upper/bolt combo to build up. I see Uintah or whatever sells complete uppers...but man they seem kinda expensive for what it is and you're stuck with their limited selection. Sure seems for around $200 it would be viable for a bolt/upper combo to finish out with barrel, furniture and etc of your choice.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly, how I see it is that its not that great of an idea.

At first thought, I would think it is, and wouldn't mind to try it. But, even if we're looking at cheaper AR's we're looking at $300-400 for a decent upper. Assuming we could get the bolt action AR idea down to that price, we're still paying the price of a budget bolt gun for an upper that will be less accurate than a budget bolt gun. Stripped down, a budget AR weighs more than your average budget bolt gun, with many stripped down, no optics AR's weighing in around the 6.5-7.5lbs range. The Ruger American Ranch in 556 weighs 6.1lbs, and can be found on the street for 500ish bucks.

But, I think that they should be out there, cause diversity is good and they could still be fun.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Prob the same reason T/C dropped the Contender......then added the Encore so they could offer more powerful cartridges, and it still isn't that popular.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked into the bolt action AR. I don’t like the detected system. I have looked at side charging AR’s and block the gas port. I have even looked at the cali key with a blocked gas port. I just came to the conclusion that a real bolt rifle with a 16 in barrel and a side folding stock would be the best all around option. Less parts that could cause issues. No I never built it, but it wouldn’t be that hard.

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At first thought, I would think it is, and wouldn't mind to try it. But, even if we're looking at cheaper AR's we're looking at $300-400 for a decent upper. Assuming we could get the bolt action AR idea down to that price, we're still paying the price of a budget bolt gun for an upper that will be less accurate than a budget bolt gun. Stripped down, a budget AR weighs more than your average budget bolt gun, with many stripped down, no optics AR's weighing in around the 6.5-7.5lbs range. The Ruger American Ranch in 556 weighs 6.1lbs, and can be found on the street for 500ish bucks.

I think we are on a similar wavelength, but different expectation.

Ruger can make an entire gun with stock, maxwell, trigger group etc for under half the cost of what's available for just a bolt action upper.

Just seems with how popular guns like that are, an inexpensive option that you can toss onto your lower of choice would be a home run.

ClintC

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I’m not mistaken. Those upper require another 4473 to go along with your lower. I remember the ATF did something along those lines with the 50 BMG uppers. We can no longer get just the uppers. I might have to look into that.

DDriller

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have looked into the bolt action AR. I don’t like the detected system. I have looked at side charging AR’s and block the gas port. I have even looked at the cali key with a blocked gas port. I just came to the conclusion that a real bolt rifle with a 16 in barrel and a side folding stock would be the best all around option. Less parts that could cause issues. No I never built it, but it wouldn’t be that hard.
Without some way to rotate the bolt you have to motor out shell without the gas. Turn off your gas on one and see.

Latest posts

Top Bottom