.303 british reloading

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I have some dies, some brass and will want to load for it soon enough. Do any of you guys load for this caliber? I am thinking that lead might be a good replacement for just plinking. Lets here it.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've been reloading for the 303 brit, 7.7 jap and 8mm mauser for several years. I like hard cast lead bullets in all those.
I started out trying the pistol powder route with recduced loads and didn't find they met my needs. Going with standard
load data for jacketed bullets and dropping it back to the lower velocities in the manual works much better. I do use gas
check bullets with the 8mm but plain base works ok on the 303 and 7.7 jap with reduced velocity loads. I try to keep my
velocities around 1200-1500 fps with the cast bullets. A chronograph is a necessity for working up these types of loads.
One of my shooting buddies bought a 150 grain flat nose two cavity GC lee mold for the 30-30 and they are very accurate and
much more pleasant to shoot out of a 94 winchester. Go for it and don't be afraid to try something different. Blitzfike

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm assuming this is a brit. enfield rifle so:

If you are going to shoot cast in that 303 you will need a bullet .314-.316 in dia. if not larger, slug the bore/throat area to find its size then load a cast bullet .001-.003 larger and use a gas checked bullet
Every 303 brit. I've slugged has been .313-.314 and some larger.

You'll also want to remove ALL!!! the copper from the bore before shooting cast.

I can get you started with some cast bullets if you want to try some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom