357 sig hand load questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philipxhuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
does anyone reload 357 sig on here? preferably for a glock. ive been looking into it but find alot of stuf about .355 bullets are ok and some say you can only use .356 and do they have to be crimped? im wlso wondering about c.o.l. since the bullets i buy would be for a 9mm not 357sig. any other imputs would be nice if someone does load this round

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was supposed to be reloading for it, unfortunately it is not a priority. I'll tell you what I know as a non expert.
The correct bullet diameter is .355 just like the 9mm. That does not mean they are identical; the 357 requires a design with a different ogive to facilitate crimping. A regular 9mm usually doesn't work for that reason. I bought some specifically designed for the 357, made by Speer (not 100% sure about that).
The neck is very short and hard to give the bullet enough friction. Loads with Accurate #9 fill up the case and prevent bullet set back. All the above are from memory and should not be used without double checking.
The fact that they will be used in a Glock doesn't seem important, I don't see how it would matter.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I use 9mm (.355) bullets in mine. They have worked well in the several hundred rounds I've loaded. Bullets for the .357 Sig need to have a short nose, your typical 9mm round nose will not work. I've used Remington 124 gr 9mm hollow points without any problems. I think there is a 115 gr version of this bullet. I've seen the 124 gr used in some Remington factory stuff. Hornady 115 gr XTP's have worked too.

Bullet setback can be a problem with these. I use a light taper crimp, you can crush the case so be gentle, turn the crimp die in slowly until it's tight without crushing the shoulder. You might think about seating and crimping seperately, I so this with all pistol ammo anyway. One of the best ways to prevent setback, IMHO, is to use a powder that fills the case completely for a compressed load. Accurate #7 and #9 work well.

It's not really any harder to load than any other bottleneck cartridge if you take your time and sort out the little details.

philipxhuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I decided I am going to reload 357 sig for sure. I'll probably buy the stuff this weekend. All 9mm bullets won't work because the sides are more tapered and don't make enough contact with the neck of the case to prevent bullet set back. I called H&H and they actually have a bulk ammo for 357sig/38 super. I think it was 20$ for 200 rounds. I'll probably go with those and aa#9 or aa#7. I just dont know which one yet.

philipxhuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was supposed to be reloading for it, unfortunately it is not a priority. I'll tell you what I know as a non expert.
The correct bullet diameter is .355 just like the 9mm. That does not mean they are identical; the 357 requires a design with a different ogive to facilitate crimping. A regular 9mm usually doesn't work for that reason. I bought some specifically designed for the 357, made by Speer (not 100% sure about that).
The neck is very short and hard to give the bullet enough friction. Loads with Accurate #9 fill up the case and prevent bullet set back. All the above are from memory and should not be used without double checking.
The fact that they will be used in a Glock doesn't seem important, I don't see how it would matter.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

that's a link explaining why I was worried about loading for a glock. I took me barrel out and set a factory round in the barrel and there wasn't any of the case exposed at the feed
ramp so I should be good to go as long as my resizing dies are set right.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

that's a link explaining why I was worried about loading for a glock. I took me barrel out and set a factory round in the barrel and there wasn't any of the case exposed at the feed
ramp so I should be good to go as long as my resizing dies are set right.

I see, what happens is that the 9mm and 357Sig chambers are very tight. The 9mm is a tapered cartridge and the 357 a bottleneck, both easy to feed.
That is not true with straight wall cartridges like .40, 45, 10mm. To increase reliability with those, they really go out of their way with sloppy unsupported chambers.
Good luck, tell us how it works out.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see, what happens is that the 9mm and 357Sig chambers are very tight. The 9mm is a tapered cartridge and the 357 a bottleneck, both easy to feed.
That is not true with straight wall cartridges like .40, 45, 10mm. To increase reliability with those, they really go out of their way with sloppy unsupported chambers.
Good luck, tell us how it works out.

it's also the physics of feeding...as the diameter of the cartridge goes up, the feed issues go up exponentially. with a 45 you have a lot of cartridge to move to the top of the magazine after the previous cartridge is stripped. 9mm is very skinny and like you said, it tapers.

the more you think about the engineering done, the more you realize how amazing the 1911 was.

Latest posts

Top Bottom