.410 for doves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raymill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I am a glutton for punishment, I have trouble hitting doves with a 12ga but I have a set of skeeters gauge reducers that I would like to try out in my Mossberg Silver Reserve or should I just use my trusty .410 single shot. I am quite proficient with the single over the double. I have never used a .410 for doves but I am up for the challenge.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I started out killing dove at about 9 or 10 years old with a .410. You should be fine.

I'll never forget the day dad asked me if I wanted to go with him dove hunting. One of the best days of my life. I had a permanent grin for at least a week. Didn't get to do any shooting that time, but after that dad started me off on the .410 and after some practice I started getting to shoot. I took to bird hunting very naturally.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
.410 is legal for doves, but unless you are expert and patient enough to wait for perfect close shots, they are notorious for crippling birds that come down a long way off.

As a responsible sportsman, you want to retrieve the game you shoot. A minimum of a 20ga with 1oz of 8 is far more effective is helping you retrieve without hiking to the other end of the field (and avoid a possible wanton waste ticket if you don't retrieve any).

Bottom line: if you can knock them down and have the patience, go ahead.

raymill

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I usually hunt over decoys so I am always waiting for close shots even with a 12ga, I will give it a try opening day and see what happens, later in the season when they are a little more weary i will probably have to go with the 12ga.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on what Rod said.

A couple of questions:
1) What choke are you using?
2) Have you patterned your shotgun with differnt chokes at different ranges.

You would be surprised at what a choke change can do for you.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You are a glutton for punishment. Best dove shotgun in my experience is a 28 ga. Kicks like the .410, kills better than a 20. The shot string on a .410 is about 8 feet long. That's why it's so likely to wound birds with crossing shots. Straight away incoming or departing shots work pretty well. but crossing shots are risky.

Most .410 single shots shoot 'way low for most folks because they have such a drop at the comb. You would probably benefit from a big cheek piece on the stock to line up your eye with the sighting plane. Shoot #8 shot, and try to stay inside 15-20 yards maximum.

I took an old friend out hunting once. The guy had recently suffered a big heart attack and was becoming a "cardiac cripple." I finally shamed him into coming hunting. Put him and his little Browning Citori .410 under a shade tree in a lawn chair in a flight path and watched him limit with 15 shots. Broke the "egg shell" view he was getting of himself. Great day, but the guy was a true expert. All his shots were on incomers.

On the skeet range the .410 is hated and feared by most, due to the long shot string. You'll be all over a target, and one little chip (counts) will fall off. Works on your mind after a while. CB

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with my .410 H&R that I still have and still hunt with on occasion at 11 yrs old.
It was the only gun I could afford until hitting the late 20's.
It didn't take long to figure out, that shots of 20 yds or closer were required for a clean kill. It was a full choke barrel, 3" chamber.
As far as being a gun that could wound more than it kills, Its all in the hands/eye of the shooter. I've seen a lot of birds trailing feathers with 1 1/8oz high velocity 12 ga loads out of $3000 shotguns being shot at them, to only disappear over the horizon.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My first dove was with a .410. I forget how old I was but I was very little. I was sitting with my dads friend and a dove flew by. He was about to say don't shoot but all he got out was don't. I shot and the dove folded up perfect. It was one of the greatest feelings I've ever had.

Now I use an over/under 20 gauge. First shot is improved then second shot is modified. I even use those chokes for duck hunting.

Oh man just talking about I'm getting excited. Think I'll go buy some clays tonight.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The .410 I used is an old Winchester. My dad got it when he turned 12 from his dad. It's a nice gun and has been well taken care of. I moved to a Stoeger single shot 20ga a couple years after I started hunting. I miss living in the TX panhandle for the hunting. We'd go out in the evenings to a cattle trough and corrals on the edge of a milo field. that was probably the only water source in the section. ALL of the shots were head on. It was almost like shooting fish in a barrel. We shot dove to get ready for pheasant season, what's a clay pigeon? lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom