410 gauge for HD

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OkieDokie1982

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife just can't shoot my 870 12gauge. I was thinking of getting a 410 pump for her, something she can handle and not be afraid of knocking her shoulder out of socket. any suggestions? oh and it has to be a 18" barrel (no reason for a 24" barrel for HD). She is small 5'4" 110 lbs.
let me know what you think

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can she shoot the 12 gauge at all? What I'm getting at, is if she can shoot it controllably and accurately and it just hurts, you may not want to back it down. In a situation where you think your life is on the line, shoulder pain won't even register.
Also, you could check out some reduced recoil loads if you haven't already.

If it's just flat out too much recoil for her to handle, then I'd back it down some. Like SMS said, I probably wouldn't jump all the way down to .410.

Calamity Jake

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Every 20ga I've ever shot kicks more than a 12. The 410 would work,

BUT

The stock/gun needs to fit her small frame, any gage is going to kick her wrong if the stock doesn,t fit her properly

Take her to a gun club(oil capitol gun club in Tulsa) that has a trap/skeet range and get someone to teach her how to hold/mount the gun. They should have shotguns that will fit her better.

OkieDokie1982

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can she shoot the 12 gauge at all? What I'm getting at, is if she can shoot it controllably and accurately and it just hurts, you may not want to back it down. In a situation where you think your life is on the line, shoulder pain won't even register.
Also, you could check out some reduced recoil loads if you haven't already.

If it's just flat out too much recoil for her to handle, then I'd back it down some. Like SMS said, I probably wouldn't jump all the way down to .410.

to answer the first question no she hasn't had the opportunity to shoot a 20 gauge and for the second question
my 870 with extended mag tube is too heavy for her/ the length of pull is too far for her/ the recoil is too much for her to handle. No she cant control it or is she accurate

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Try an 870 youth model 870 with reduced recoil buck....fits my wife nicely and she's small statured. She'll shoot that and a single shot 20 all day with regular, and even 3" loads, but the 12 is just a bit over the line for her.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A .410 shotgun for HD as opposed to what? That's the question.

The .410 with slugs is in the same ballpark as a large caliber handgun as far as effectiveness goes.
If she shoots it better than a handgun then that's a valid choice IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom