.44 special primer problems

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had purchased a few boxes of the W-W cowboy ammo at Wally World over the last year. In the process of reloading the brass, I am having the some of the primers separate and leave the "walls" of the primer in the pocket. Just the anvil and the "cap" of the primer comes out. Of course all of this is happening on a progressive that drops the spent primers in covered area so I don't get to see the problem till the case is in the reprime station and the new primer goes just a little way then stops. Frustrating.

Just wanted to give folks a "heads up" on that brass.

1mathom1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know. Just looking at them, I cannot see corrosion but that doesn't necessarily mean anything. In all instances, they separated right at the point where the cap rolls over to the walls. There is some possibility that I got a few old cases mixed in with the new stuff but there is no visual difference to be able to sort them out now. We had three of us shooting .44 special at the range the last time and I cannot guarantee the other two bothered to make sure they kept the brass separate.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
So it left a little ring of primer in the pocket? That's exactly what mine did.

Mine when they did it were spent .38 spl cases that had been in a bag for a long time.

Sucks, but from what I can tell, not a lot you can do about it other than toss those cases.

Blitzfike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had this happen lately as well. I think the primer cup extrusion process has made the
cup brittle at that point. I expect some of that with old military brass with corrosive primers
but not the new stuff. I have had about two dozen 223's do that as well. Blitzfike

Latest posts

Top Bottom