442 and +P loads

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotty

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Traded for a 442, it's an older model no dash, but still an airweight, blued barrel and cylinder. 38 special on barrel. Can +P loads be shot through this gun, with no ill effects or is this a major no-no.

RedTape

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot an e-mail to S&W and ask them. When I had a question about my 642 they got back to me the same day.

I'd be a little hesitant to shoot +P through it if it's not marked for +P, but S&W can tell you for sure if it's OK. Either way BurkLee is right. In an Airweight it's better to shoot mostly standard ammo and just a little of the hot stuff.

If S&W says no +P, not to worry. Get some standard Hornady XTPs and you'll be good to go.

Traxxis

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
++ on Burk Lee.

I shoot practice ammo at the range, and I have Gold Dots +P'sthat I carry in it.

Mine is a 638... but it's essentially the same gun.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
You can shoot +P in them(Limited), I wouldn't as I have seen airweights that have cracked the frame right under the forcing cone where the yoke rests. Once you crack it there is no way to repair it. Shoot standard velocity ammo in it while practicing, and carry +P. Stick to the heavy projectiles in the +P loadings i.e. 158grSWCHP+P.

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Why the heavier projectile? Not questioning your knowledge, just was wondering the reasoning behind it. Would it make the felt re-coil more?
Sonny

No it won't an being an all lead projectile it will have less jarring between the face of the cylinder and the forcing cone, which is where the problem starts with the airweight guns. Plus the guns are regulated to the 158gr loads so POA/POI is usually very close. Granted the J-Frmaes aren't target guns, but even at distances such as 25yds they can still do pretty well. Of course alot still depends on the shooter.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thank You. The other reason i asked is i shoot an 85ul. I know, its a Taurus. It was sugggested that I shoot lighter projectiles 125gr, because the heavier gr would sometimes make the cylinder tighten up(lock up) after 3 or so shots(+p ok in lighter projectile ).
The reason was that the heavier would make the casing slide back and put the cylinder in a bind.
It does fine with 130gr.
Sonny

Latest posts

Top Bottom